Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherryazure

Questions re Betta and others...

sherryazure
18 years ago

Several questions.

1 - Having added the three cories (two bronze and one with dark sploches forgot type) and one 'mystery' tetra (or doing search on other fish he might be type of rhasbora, who knows, very plain little fish what ever... to 20 gallon, with:

Driftwood, one larger piece with both ends rising up from central part that is like bowl upside down (ie creates space underneath or cave effect which I mounted so as to be able to peak a bit underneath)

Another piece which is like u shape, and is on left side part in water part out, and third floated above (mounted on back wall bracket) with branchy part above that.

This all comes apart pretty easy.

Then got plants from NY Aquarium store that told me what they sold me was right size for my tank oops. (I did protest but haven't had plants in long time and never the anubias barteri and nani, along with two amazon swords, one of which I traded for smaller one at local store.)

The swords are in a pot with fertilizer tabs (kept floating up), the other larger a barteri (after much effort) were tied to small pieces of wood which was then inserted in those sucker holders for heaters or longer air tubes (which allows me to float then from side - left and back left side of tank right under wood that is half in half out, and get their light source ie in other words easier to position then on a rock or permanent wood)

Also this gives great 'paths' of sand/gravel for cats to explore, back area on left side nice open are under the plant leaves, their little wood cave in middle and on right side the two nani's and third in on wood floated under filter outlet, which leads to my Betta question (finally but thought tank set up is important overall)

I have two now and originally wished to put white less agressive one in larger tank.. I have found they love a mild water stream, the one (whitish pink 'half moon' not the fancy type but small half round tail, in large bowl (filtered and with plants) is often playing in the filter bubbles (those little bowl filter things which I turn down more at night so he gets his rest) (also has floating nani for he to sleep rest on and other plants which he loves to wiggle in and out of - they sure come alive when in proper environment or at least better).

I got a second betta (both prettiest at store and I hate those little frozen betta bowl set up at petco) he is in hospital tank (second question later) and is dark blue and has that frayed fin look. (I found doing research that this type for some reason is inherantly more agressive and indeed he displays much, to me or I think also glue along bottom of eclispe creates a mirror effect as its there he flares at 'himslef') They are both active, eating well, so far dried betta food (bloodwarms) some frozen and plant (ie guppy flakes) they won't eat shrimp or anything else and I give them smashed baby snail once in while. I realize I need to get more variety and store not helpful so a bit confused.

My question then is this.

I wished to add one of the betta's to the 'community' tank. 3 cories and one tetra.

He has pleanty of space with diff water areas, dead, mild flow or a bit faster, tons of hiding places if needed, and plants at all levels to rest in. My only concern is that tetra, which when young thought it was a guppy which it grew up with then when older chased them away until he had to dominate the tank. (I tried schools of other tetras which ended up in them tanking turns dominating with number one hiding most of day so gave them away) Not knowing exactly what he/she is its hard to school with anything.

Would this Betta do ok with this tetra whatever or will I just have to try. I was figuring the more agressive one, or would he go after tetra - but he would be faster or would he go after the much larger but more agressive Betta?

Second question:

The blue betta seemed to have a little white spot to the right of his right eye in line with mouth. I thought at first it might be just discoloration until I thougt I saw another so started treating him for ick... hmmm, depending on light as it's hard to see, only this one stop now. (ick treatment super ick, raised temp and salt water cure, with mild addition of tea tree oil for what I thought was fungus on his mouth (this was day after I brought him home - been about one week now) mouth ok only one dot and am not sure if it's ick or just a marking on him..

If ick it would drop off in due time?

If not ick, what would it be. He seems fine as stated above. Not sure what to do or what it is. No scratching though as with guppies.

I had a betta once 'decades' ago so feel like newbie here and much thanks for help.

Also, the larger plants will eventually go into 75 gallon or be given away if I don't set it up. Meanwhile, I am a bit concerned about cleaning sand without disturbing entire tank... I think at one site Dr. Forster or another they mention only having enough sand for biological action, so that it is easier to clean... I took out much and left a deeper pile here and there for cories and rest thinner but still just there for them ie no plants.

Question: How often does sand area have to be cleaned?

Right now I tube out from bottom layer stuff along with water and can with not too much trouble remove two nanis on their rocks but it stirs things up quiet a bit so filter intake have to have nets over them due to finer sand along with gravel. Realize now entire set up is a bit tight but doable (live and learn - keep maintance in mind)

Thanks Sherry

(sorry for length)

PH slighly acid 6.8 with mild flucuations

temperature apx 78

bio wheel filter and one other with out and small coral piece to offset all that wood... air stone set on gentle under hanging wood. Plants plildendrian (sp)(small amount) on wood outside of tank with roots in water.

Comments (11)

• sherryazure
    Original Author
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ps. forgot to add, the ph of the little bowl water Betta came in was a very low 6.0 as it turns out all the water at the store (I live nearby and filtered tap ranges from 6.5 higher during summer, so now I age filtered water with high pump with chemical remover pads and lots of carbon,and correct ph) The betta was adjusted by very slow drip method over two days to 6.5 then again to 6.8 ish... The temp in bowls was also extremely low, sorry state for this wonderful fish as to how they are treated in stores and by some who purchase them.

• skygee
    18 years ago

Sherry - wow! What a novel! LOL

Okay - in my experience, I've kept bettas in community tanks without any problems. It does depend on the personality of a betta, but I've never had any super aggressive bettas. I've even kept two male bettas in one community tank. They established their own territory within the 75 gallon tank and co-existed peacefully. In this tank there are angels, gouramis, rams, tetras, loaches and cory cats.

Ick is visible as tiny spots... like a sprinkling of salt. Is this what you are seeing? Or are you seeing a white spot that is larger than that?

Try not to do too much with various treatments or combining them. That can put more stress on the fish than the disease.

Sorry - I don't have a clue about your sand cleaning question. I would think you will have to clean as often/much as you would gravel?

• woeisme
    18 years ago

You can use a magnifying glass to get a better peek at the "white spot". What kind of tetra? not that it matters to the betta, but I have kept small tetras with bettas no problems, however it may want to taste it. Any fish can be aggressive toward another fish for any reason. Betta's are a little closer to 50/50 then most community fish. Keep an eye on it, if there's a problem isolate one of them. "The water the betta came in was very low 6.0" Was the betta kept in a cup? Even if not, the water in the bags usually gets acidic even after only 15-20 min. I guess its lack of Oxygen and possible ammonia build from fish poop. I always notice a little poop in the bag when I get home, guess its part of the stress??? Stir up sections of the sand when doing PWC's. You can't vacuum sand like gravel (plunging in and shake, while lifting tube) but skim the surface to remove poop and debris. I'll give you a link to an article on sand substrates and then another about using under water jets to avoid the surface "vacuuming". Even if you dont do "jets" a few low flow mini-pumps can help move crud toward your filter intake and help keep things tidy.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

heres the link for jets. I just noticed I forgot the link for sand substrate. OOOOOps

Here is a link that might be useful: Jets

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Here Tis'

Here is a link that might be useful: Sand

• sherryazure
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Woesime, thanks, was wondering if the tetra would go after the Betta, lol... thanks for sand info, was thinking myself to put little pump to swirl stuff along so intake can get to it... will try all above thanks much again.. I did have magnifying glasses on... just like a dot about the size of the periods here. but white.... will watch, maybe overly concerned... the store is only two blocks or so away but none the less they are kept in horrific conditions, small teeny bowl in not so warm conditions... well he will probably be ok seems fine ... thanks Sherry

• sherryazure
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Skygee (re novel, lol I think I have no one to 'share' with and worked hard on this tank...oops)

Thanks to you as well, no not typical ick, just one dot about size of period as I mentioned or looking again slightly bigger definately not a really small spot...(kind of reminds me when a flat panel computer screen blows a pixle - hard to see but once you notice it can't seem to forget it's there) so time will tell..

Thanks for reminder about over medicating which I do know, but forgot to say, tea tree was first prior to meds and salt and very dilute anyway but did change h2o today and only salt and ick med's since mouth looks fine.. In my experience salt does ok with most medications save for cories so on... I have a feeling it's nothing but just want to be sure, most of the tanks at petland or petco forget which, tend to have lots of ick...

////////////////

I myself only use natural therapies (degrees in science and nutrition) for me and my cats and was wondering about same for fish along lines of tea tree oil and one night somehow came across web site that used herbs so on.. will try to find as I know I must have saved it. Best and thanks much Sherry

• sherryazure
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for links, exactly what I needed... same thought but this link on jets is much more sophisticated then what I was thinking of (glad I don't have to reinvent the wheel) Fantastic and again thanks... (I just love the internet and sharing resources) Sherry

• woeisme
    18 years ago

My betta also had ICH and Velvet (that OO parasite) I treated ICH with nothing but salt and raising the temperature. If you raise the salinity gradually to what equals 1 tsp. per gallon (that may not be accurate measurement, let me know if you need it) and the heat, then reduce the salinity and heat gradually over a 15 day period it works. It is less costly and you are not using chemicals that are known to cause cancer. To add the left over salt is tasty with a shot of tequilla and lime.

• skygee
    18 years ago

I always try frequent water changes first, then salt (depending of course on the fish in the tank as some are more salt sensitive than others), and try only to use meds when I absolutely have to. Fungus med that I've found works for me is Aquarium Pharmaceutical's Fungus cure.

The link below is to one of the better sites out there. It's specifically to the Disease page - with photos! I remember when she was collecting photos from people to show diseases.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pandora's page

• sherryazure
    Original Author
    18 years ago

W and S:

Water (aged and filtered for several days) changed each day during treatment or every second day (less then 5 days so far into treatment) I have an old Dr. Innes book (way back in 40's) which uses salt and as a child that's all I ever used, even for one gourami (of two) that leap out of the tank and when I came back from school, they were dried on one side like leaves. did experiment and treated one with salt other without, fungus and death on one other recovered and lived. (I did try to catch up with fungus one but to far gone as I am not intential cruel but did want to see how well salt works) (I have an old water cure book from Zen monastary, and salt water is great when you have stomach or food poisoning, too much drinking so on, drink and purge then when done swallow a little, stops everything instantly)

This research shows this and that is what worries me a bit - that the dot might be something else...

(The most common way of diagnosing ich is by close observation of the infected fishes. The presence of small, (.5 to 1.0 mm) white dots scattered about on the fishes' skin. This is not always proof that the fish is infected with ich as several other infections can have a similar appearance. Proof positive can be obtained by removing one of the spots and observing it under a microscope. Ich has a small micronucleus and a prominant crescent-shaped macronucleus.)

Well thanks once again for all of your marvelous help and time will tell (wish I had a microscope)... best Sherry

Sponsored