Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaacka

New to this, new tank, Ich, fish dying...

jaacka
16 years ago

I've had it all...

We have a 10 gallon tank that we've had for about 8 years. We had one ferocious goldfish in it that finally died at 6" in length in November. I changed the water, rinsed it out well, including the rocks and filter, set it up again and let it run for 48 hours (this was with well water, non chlorinated, and we did add water conditioner).

My neighbor gave me some Neons... and they died within about two hours.

A week later, we bought a pleco and shrimp. They did just fine. So another week later, we got two mollies and decided to upgrade to a bigger tank (28 gallons).

We set it up, let it run 48 hours with the well water and water conditioner, filter, etc, put the shrimp and pleco in and they did just fine, so we transferred the mollies. Within three days, one mollie died. The other mollie seemed to have developed Ich, I quarantined it back to the other tank on Saturday, turned up the temp as high as it would go and added aquarium salt (about a Tbsp) and this malachite green Ich treament stuff, removed the filter even.

this morning the mollie is dead, and now the pleco has the ich (I also turned the temp up in the 28 gallon tank and added a bit of salt to treat the water). There is also these balls of snot looking stuff in both tanks, stuck to the rocks and walls. This was NOT there yesterday.

Obviously we are doing something wrong! What is it???

At least my 25 cent shrimp seem totally unphased by all this. LOL

Comments (5)

• dobesrule
    16 years ago

Check your ph, ammonia and nitrite to be sure there are no problems there. Check the ph of your water straight out of the tap also. I have well water and the ph is low so when I do maintenace I just add a dash of baking soda. I also keep a couple small pieces of coral hidden in the tank to help keep the ph up. If you do find problems that could be hindering the effectiveness of your ick treatment if that is what it really is. Sometimes bad water conditions car "burn" the slime coat on fish and it looks a little like ick.

Lisa

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

What temperatur is the tank and does it fluctuate significantly? Also too many fish can stress that fish out, making them more susceptible to bacterial and free-swimming parasitic attacks. Warmer, stable temps, along with mild ich medicine and increased aeration should get it under control.

• dannie
    16 years ago

Read about cycling. It sounds like your tank is not cycled and most fish you put in will suffer and die from ammonia and/or nitrite poisonning. To save your fish, do 50% water changes daily at the mininum until your tank is cycled. You will know that your tank is cycled when your test results for ammonia and nitrite are both 0 and you have some nitrates showing. You do have a test kit right? If not, get one.

• homegrown1
    16 years ago

Ich is, from my experience, very easy to control once the tank is established. You were correct in raising temperature, but after the ich has cleared keep it at a steady level. Adding salt is also a wonderful idea. To clear the tank I would do a 20-25% water change, using distilled water bought at a grocery store or Wal Mart. Try adding a touch of Stress Zyme to the water as well as a touch of a good ich cure. I usually keep my filters running. You may also want to add a little bit of water conditioner and definately salt. This should cure the tank. Once the filter has algea developing on it your tank should be on its way. Be sure to not overclean your filter as the bacteria growing on the overflow helps purify the water. But, make sure it is creating a great deal of circulation. To keep the tank healthy add only a small amount of chemical and salt for every water change. I also always add a few drops of ich cure with every water change. I have noticed this keeps ich out of my tanks. Be sure to use a gravel vaccuum with each change. Also make sure your lights are not overpowering the tank and that the tank is not by a window. This will help keep it cleaner. And make sure the fish you are purchasing are healthy and are in healthy tanks.

• james_ny
    16 years ago

Yoy really should have cycled the tank first before adding all the fish. Now you have two issues; ick and the cycle. Medicate for the ick, chances are temp and salt won't cure it. Go to a good pet shop and get ick meds and a water test kit. When you medicate its really important you treat for the recommend time [plus a few days]. Stop too early, even if your fish look ok and it usually comes back. The ick meds may effect the cycle process. You should see the ammo and nitrites rise to dangerous levels then suddenly drop to zero. This could take weeks and you need to test every few days. Don't add any fish as your cycling as you may lose them. You need at least one or two to cycle. The best way to avoid ick is to quarrentine new fish for 3-4 weeks [use your 10 gal]. It's easier to prevent than cure.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor