Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
egbertbutterfly

Choice of Fish- Help!

EgbertButterfly
18 years ago

I have recently lost my betta :( and I currently have two Cory catfish (one "zebra" and one "upside-down").. i am looking to upgrade to a 12 gallon tank and I definitely want to get another betta.. I was wondering what fish would be good to put in the new tank.. i was thinking maybe another Cory because they like to be in group and maybe one other type of fish? So one betta, three Corys and another. Is that too much? What fishes would be good with them? I think the minnow-like sharks are neat but how big do they become? Help me please! Any suggestions are great!

ps. Any opinions on the Marine land Eclipse 12 aquarium?

Comments (4)

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Any opinions on the Marine land Eclipse 12 aquarium? I have never owned one, but seem like nice aquariums. The only problem(s) I have with them is 1) You are limited to lighting choices without making major modifications to the hood. 2) The price, compared to a glass aquarium with filtration and lighting. You could set up a 29-55 Gallon for the same price (slightly more for the 55G, extra gravel and decor). If the size of the eclipse12 is what you want and you dont intend on keeping live plants it is a nice looking aquarium, symetrical and sleek.---- I currently have two Cory catfish (one "zebra" and one "upside-down").. I don't "think" Cory's come as zebra's, Panda Cory perhaps??? sometimes local stores make up there own names. Upside down catfish and cory's are 2 different genus/species. Maybe get 2 more cory's, if thats what you have. -----I think the minnow-like sharks are neat but how big do they become? I think they are neat also, but they grow up to 20" and are classified as semi-aggressive, they will tear your betta to shreds.-------------Help me please! Any suggestions are great! If you get the the betta and 2 cory's along with the upside down catfish, and other cory you are pretty much at your stocking limit. --- With all this said it depends on what you want to acheive. If you want more variety and a larger "community" aquarium (kinda sounds that way) I would go with a 29G kit from a LFS, Petsmart or Wal-Mart. They come with the heater and you are not limited because of the hood/light/filter combo. If you just want to keep it simple, no live plants, a small aquarium and fishload then the Eclipse12 sounds like a winner. One thing that is nice is the clarity of the seamless acrylic, the bio-wheel filters are excellent (unless you want live plants besides java fern/moss, they will hold up with the low light and bio-wheel). Remember to get a heater for it. Also, stock it slowly perhaps the fish you allready have first, wait a while then the 2 new cory's,again wait a while, then the betta. It would also be wise to use any filter media you have now in the new filter to "seed" the bio-wheel with beneficial bacteria. You may have to cut the pouch of the eclipse cartridge, remove its media and insert your old filters media. Good Luck.

• EgbertButterfly
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks... it was a great help. I was thinking of possibly even getting a larger tank (29 gallons maybe?) but is that size too unmanagable? But if I did choose it what fish would work there?

• skygee
    18 years ago

I have a 12 gallon. It currently has two dwarf gouramis, 3 cories and one danio... oh and two ghost cats. There is one live plant. Everyone does fine in this tank. Trick is, don't overfeed.

One betta to three cories in this tank would be heaven for all fish! The betta will appreciate the large tank, and the cories will have fun playing with each other. I always provide a little shelter for the cories to hide as well.

Be careful with the acrylic tank and use ONLY scrubbers that are gentle enough for acrylic. Otherwise you will scratch the tank when cleaning.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

The 29G is about 9" longer and only 3 " higher then the eclipse12. It is roughly the same width. The volume is more then double the 12 gal, so that means more fish. It takes about 20 minutes to gravel vacuum and PWC with a python vacuum (great investment no matter what size you go with). It is a nice size to start with IMO, the extra room makes it easier to vacuum because its not as tight around rocks and other decor like plants that can easily get displaced. There are so many colorful fish, but things I have had with bettas are: a school(16)of neon tetras, oto cats (good algae eaters), 1 bushy nose pleco, platy's ( assorted colors, I like red wag, tuxedos) mollies ( make sure to add some salt) almost any medium bodied fish (similar to the bettas size, body size not the tail/fins. Keeping the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule. I only count neons and otos as 1/2 inch because of body size. It really depends on the "personality" of your betta what will work. I don't think the 29 would be much more work then the 12, thats for you to deside. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will be happy. See what the LFS's have and compare, I got my 29G at Wal-Mart, complete kit type filter, heater and hood light combo for about $95. I dont use the hood or light anymore because of the plants demand for more intensity (I have some high light required plants). I like the newer style filter that comes with the kits now. It is actually a penguin filter without the bio-wheel. But it does have a "screen" (for lack of better description) that is seperate from the cartridge. It is used instead of the wheel for bacteria growth.

Sponsored