Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imaginators

Looking for a fish tank

imaginators
18 years ago

I am shopping around for a 70 to 100 gallon aquarium tank. Right now i have a 10 gallon tank. I would love to have Discus since 10 years ago I use to have a Discus aquarium with other non agressive fish. Because this hobby is very expensive and I am on a tight budget, I am thinking of buying equipment a piece at a time. Right now I am looking for just the all glass tank and hood w/light only. Eventually I would get pump/fiter and stand, etc. Do any of you have any suggestions as to where to go. I would like to keep the cost under a $150.00 for the bare min. I might even consider a used one. I have check my local pet and fish stores. Wow!! very expensive. I do not want the acrylic tanks. Thanks.

Theresa

Comments (27)

• skygee
    18 years ago

Hey Theresa...

Plain tanks w/ hoods are actually not all that expensive. The hood is cheap. It's the LIGHT that may be costly - depending on the type of fixture you get (high intensity light, etc)

I picked up my 75 gallon plus hood and light plus a plain cast iron stand for $96. It was on sale (the stand was thrown in for free). So look around for sales. Occasionally I'll see LFS (which is where I got mine) have really good sales if you're looking for a non-fancy no-frills type of tank.

What's rather ironic about my 75 gallon set up is that the eheim filter that I got for it cost more than the tank, hood, light and stand!

• imaginators
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Skygee,
    Wow! I think for bare min...you got a great deal including the light and iron stand. Ten years ago, I would say we invested at least $500.00 for my 70 gallon aquarium. So I am very aware how expensive this hobby is. You mentioned LFS, what does that stand for? Thank you so much for your response. I have 2 ponds and one of then with 15 koi fish but during the cold/icy/snow season the aquarium becomes a top focus and the 10 gallon aquarium just doesn't do it for me. I would like to have this aquarium put together by next Winter if possible. I am not in a hurry to put fish in it. i have plenty of time to get the tank cycled and ready for that. I have plenty of time to budget for what I need.
    Thank you.
    Theresa

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

hello,, theresa! whooopie! your angels would love it...sorry i have no suggestions. i just wanted to say good for you!

lfs= local fish store (i think)

• woeisme
    18 years ago

LFS = Local Fish Store. Check classifieds, garage sales, even some LFS will sell used tanks. You should be able to get a new All-Glass 75G for $115, I wouldn't pay more then that. Used aquariums 55G to 150G, fair pricing is $1 per gallon. I got a 125G with a glass top (neeeded a panel of glass replaced and plastic strips)for $75. Ebay is an option, most people who sell them won't ship (glass and shipping is a risk) I have seen auctions won for less then $1 per gallon and sometimees they include some equiptment. You just need a pick-up truck and a muscular freind.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Since you have time, if you are handy some things like filters and lighting can be made. Search "DIY aquarium articles" yahoo/google.

• imaginators
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have checked my local fish and pet stores and they want to sell the stand/canopy and all. I just can't afford that and have to do it slowly.
    But I have found a few more fish stores that I did not know were in town and will check them out. Also I will remember $1.00 for every gallon. Thanks.

Fairy Toadmother...here I am again interest in expanding from my 10 gallon to huge size Ha! Can you believe my 2 angels are doing just fine in that small aquarium, for at least a year I think, but I am not satisfied. As you know I gave 2 of my angelfish away last Spring. I felt bad because one of my angels passed away with the new owner. That small diamond angelfish was doing just fine and showing no stress at all in my Nano aquarium. I was trying to do the right thing so none of the fish would die. Now I wonder if I should have given the lady only one of my Angels. Oh well so far the other angel is doing fine in his new home and the new owner just loves Angelfish.
    Theresa

• skygee
    18 years ago

You should be able to even just buy a tank - no hood, no light fixture. The LFS around me sell them individually - but usually if you buy at least the hood, tank and light it's a bit cheaper than if you just buy the tank. I hate it when they start putting together kits with everything (gravel, filter, decorations, nets, etc) because I never will use what they're putting in as the package.

I've seen 55 gallon tanks sold without anything go for about 49.99 around me. Really - you should be able to get a no-frills type of tank very cheaply.

It's the fancy ones that will cost upwards the 100s of dollars. (with wood hoods, frames, etc)

Good luck!!

• james_ny
    18 years ago

Tanks are pretty cheap, its the lights that are overpriced. You could save a bundle by hanging a shop light over the tank. I wouldn't get a used tank, especially a large one. The mess and work of fixing it if it leaks is too big a risk.

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    I just rcently got a 200 gallon tank for free as the back glass was cracked. They wanted 150 bucks for a replacement glass alonelol. I was going to use it for a large terrarium but decided to try using vinyl pegboard on the outside along with a lot of silicone. Built a special stand to help support the back glass. Has held water now for a week so seems to be working..I located this in the shadehouse so if it fails not really a disaster.
    Cost about 50 bucks for material.
    If you decide to do something like this get several muscular friends lol That sucker is unbelieveably heavy!!!!!!
    gary

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

hello again theresa. i am sure you are sad over your fish dying....these things do happen, however. same with me with my grand male angel- papa to most of my young ones years ago. :(

there were many tanks on ebay i drooled over and some within driving distance of me. and, since they were already set up, they obviously didn't leak. some sellers will even sell the tank and fish separately. if you do buy a used, fill it completely and let it stand a few days to make sure it doesn't leak before adding anything else. i would be horrified if i found my fish in water "just above their heads" and water everywhere.

on that note, my current fish tank is over 10 years old. it was at my grandmother's for several years during that time and supposedly leaked at one point (i have to take their word for it but the description sounded strange to me!). well, my aunt and uncle resealed the tank for her adn has held up ever since. that amazes me b/c i have never been able to reseal a leaking tank. all in the wrist, i suppose.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

James brings up a good point, you can always ask the seller to have it filled with water before you go pick it up or pay for it, if it isn't allready. Skygee just where is this LFS that sells 55G for $50, I am not to far from the NY border. How deep in do I have to go. Will be in the market for a 75G and the best I can do is $115 new.

• skygee
    18 years ago

At Petland Discounts they've had sales for 55 gallon tanks (no hood, no light) for 49.99! Usually these sales hit around the various holidays (like this past December).

Of course when you start throwing in all the stuff like hood, light (cheapest kind), I'm pretty sure I've seen the basic package (sans stand) go for maybe $99.

Another local shop on Rockaway (name fails me at the moment. Pet something or other by the Home Depot in Lawrence) is where I got my 75 gallon on sale that they were selling for $69. The rest with a free stand brought it up to $96. They needed to move out these larger tanks for the fancier ones coming in. The one I got was the floor model. Luckily I could fit it into my car otherwise it would have been an additional 25 delivery fee.

Occasionally they even have sales on tanks at Petco.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Petland discounts in Edison NJ(I think maybe piscataway or so. plainfeild)is where I found the 75G for $115. Filters and lighting for that size tank would be DIY. I just normally get bare tanks. Petco's by me are all grossly overpriced on everything except fish and some plants (I got nice java ferns there for $2, about 8" high and nice width with babies)I'll check out the other stores, and see if its worth the gas, Thanks. $69 is awesome, might have to get 2, LOL.

• imaginators
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the information. Being in Kentucky doesn't help me with some of the places you have suggested with the great deals. I am seriously thinking of getting at first a new all glass 100 gallon aquarium with hood and light only. My Petco tends to have a lot of acrylic aquariums that I do not want. I wish they were glass. As for having delivered to my home, if it is local, my son has a van that would work. There is no way a 100 gallon aquarium would fit my 3000 GT. Ha! So far I am just keeping my eyes and ears open for sales and options. As for the stand, I may use my 2nd activity center or buy a computer stand/desk. Anything that is cheaper but still looks nice.

• skygee
    18 years ago

Good luck!! Just keep your eyes peeled for sales - they are out there! Also - if any of your LFS's DON'T carry the size tank you're looking for - inquire. They may be able to order it. I suggest stopping into any local LFS often. Let them get to know you. Stores around me do appreciate repeat business and I've gotten some really good deals because they know I'm a repeat/constant customer. Another time when I was looking for a small stand, nothing fancy, but for a 12 gallon tank that resides in my work office. My local petland manager went to the store basement and dug up a stand with chipped paint, but otherwise in good shape. He sold it to me for $10, and all I did when I got home was take a can of black spraypaint and it was as good as new.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

A computer stand won't hold a 100G aquarium. The water, aquarium gravel and accessories will exceed 1000 pounds. If you want to save money on the stand use 2"X6" or 2"X4"'s (Home Depot prices are only a few pennies more for 2X6's )and build a sturdy frame. You can buy full sheets of melamine at Home Depot and they will cut it for you to dress up the sides. To seal the edges they sell "edging" that irons on. Of course you can use quality hardwood and stain it or good plywood and paint it. The melamine will save you time and money finishing it. Just make sure you use the edging and it's adhered (if thats a word) well to avoid water penetration. I have also seen people put curtains around the bottom or shutters. Either way make sure it's sturdy enough to support th weight. You can do a yahoo search for DIY aquarium stands and get tons of ideas. To say the least a stand for that size tank that is of good structure could run you twice the cost of the tank. Another thing to keep in mind is the floor surface and structure it will be on, good luck.

• imaginators
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Before I buy a stand, I plan to get the glass tank first. I have already gotten information on the internet what common fish tanks sizes and weight are so I have a better idea of what I am dealing with. I may still go with the activity center but nothing is concrete in my plans except for wanting a 100 gallon tank. I will check the locak FS about buying bare tank and really shop around. I do think it is fun planning and shopping for the best deal for my money.
    Also thanks again to everyone for beings supportive with many ideas of really good deals if you look hard for it. Another thought, I have a small Nano 10 gallon aquarium with a 3 stage wheel biological filter. 10 Years ago my 70 gallon tank had a gravel biological filter that worked wonderfully. Since times have changed, what is you opinions with the different biological filters?
    Theresa

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

you just opened a real canoworms on that last question, theresa. i think it is all subject to opinion. personally, my first tank had an undergravel filter and i had the worst problems in there than any following. BUT it could hve been b/c of anything and i have now judged it based on one bad experience. others swear by ugf's. i had a magnum with biowheel...squeaked. i also understand that if you want live plants, the biowheel agitates the water surface too much.
    i am currently using an aquaclear that combines different media in one filter, biological and chemical. the jury is still out.

• imaginators
    Original Author
    18 years ago

As always it is nice to hear from you Fairy toadmother. Yes i knew it when I brought up the filter idea. My Nano Cube 10 gallon aquarium with a 3 stage wheel biofilter wheel is especially designed for saltwater plants. So who knows. I was fortunate with the gravel bottom biofilter that i had for at least 5 years. Right now I have the tiny 10 gallon biowheel filter and don't think I can accurately compare it with my previous 70 gallon tank w/gravel biofiter. I am really interested in hearing what others think, since 10 years has passed, of the new and improved filters of the present. The pros and cons of the different type biological tank filters.
    Theresa

• sherryazure
    18 years ago

For possible free tank go to freecycle.com (or .org forget) then go to your city and ask for what you want or wish to give away. Here in NYC I missing a huge tank due to the fact that I have my email coming in end of day as a group (too much otherwise) One can also ask for things as well, everything must be free. (all types of things not just fish) I think someone on garden web sent me to the site, fantastic. Best Sherry

• woeisme
    18 years ago

IMO the biggest problem with the Under Gravel Filters (UGF's)is after a few years the plates gunk up on the bottom and need to be torn down and cleaned. If not a bacterial bloom is usually the case. There are still a number of people who use them and claim they have no troubles. There was a post here a while back, I'd say august-september, the post was an opinion on UGF's. The poster deffended his UGF stating it never had problems. Then later in the thread stated that all that was done besides good vacuuming was adding a liquid water clarifyer to clear the water when it clouded up. To me that is a problem. Anaerobic bacteria grows on almost any surface submerged in the water (gravel,decor,rocks,etc.) where it is dark and has a little water flow. The only problem with just using a UGF wont give you much surface area that is also dark, has good flow and air for aerobic bacteria to grow. The inside of an external filter (excluding canisters without a Bio-wheel) is a great place for this. It is often said that when there is an unbalance of aerobic and anaerobic bacterias that the bacteria blooms occur. This clouds water, poses possible infection to fish and could all together crash the biofilter. At least thats the way I understand it. IME using UGF's solely and along with hang on the tank filters is that the water would get somewhat cloudy after a while. I never new at that time to remove the plates once a year to clean them. It seems that since not using them I have had cleaner water then before. This could also be because todays filters are better quality then ones of old. With all this said, UGF is better than no filtration at all. I wouldn't use one ever again because of the maintainance involved compared to an external filter. To add they are not compatible with live plants either, rooting problems.

• imaginators
    Original Author
    18 years ago

When I had my 70 gallon aquarium 9 years ago, I used a UGF only. It worked beautifully and didn't get cloudy. Yes I did vacuum the tank every 1 to 2 months cleaning maintenance. So if I read right...if I had a second filter (external), I would not have to vacuum the gravel gunk out. But I would still have to clean the external filter from all the gunk. Is this what you are basically saying. Right now I have a ity bity 10 gallon Nano Cube aquarium with the 3 stage biowheel. I still siphone the tank and clean the fake plants, wipe down the glass every 3 to 4 weeks. It is harder to maintain this small aquarium compared to the large tanks. This little tank is balanced and I have 3 fish (one small, one large Angelfish, 1 Tetra) for under a year. But I miss the options of a huge tank. I am on the Free Recycle alert for my area in case someone has a large aquarium they want to give away.
    Theresa

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

a tip i read once regarding ugf maintenance...attach a magnet to flexible airline tubing, run it down the column going to the plate, and with an attracting magnet from outside (meaning the bottom exterior of the tank would need to be accessible, move the tubing around underneath the plate while sucking out detritus filled water.

btw, you know you are in the hobby when you clean out your car and you say you are cleaing the detritus out of the car...that is basically how long my "stuff" had been in there.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

No, gravel vacuuming needs to be done UGF or not. LOL detrious in the car.

• james_ny
    18 years ago

woeisme, even filling the tank is not 100%. I've had tanks look OK for hours then start slow leaking. Usually the cheeper tanks are the 'standard' sizes, 55,125,150 gal. I always recommend at least 2 filters, if one dies your fish won't. I like UGF's but they must be cleaned to be effective.

• mikeyismyfriend
    18 years ago

Hi Theresa,

C3D here. (Name change with the GW changes...)

Any way, I got a 100 gal. tank for $20.00 two years ago from a local fish store because there was a crack on one side. At the time I did not need another tank but there was no way I could pass up the bargain of a lifetime!

Once home, it was set up as a terrarium with chameleons and tree frogs.... The cracked panel can easily be replaced with new glass and siliconed into place.

Perhaps you can call or visit local pet stores and see if they have something similar.

Other than the terrarium tank we also have a 55 gal. tank with a similar history, bought for a big $5.00! that houses hermit crabs. We also have a 55 gal. fresh water tropical tank...which was not sold for bargain prices.

Have fun with your new project.

C3D .... or whatever GW wants me to be LOL! :-)

• fgilles02420
    18 years ago

Is there a craiglist near you? I don't know where in KY you are located, I found one in lexington, there are probably others, check on this site:

http://lexington.craigslist.org/

This is a great site for picking up used stuff in the "sale" section.

Sponsored