Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jotam10

fin rot on goldfish

jotam10
18 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum and to goldfish. My family recently set up a ten gallon aquarium with a bio wheel for filtration. We put a fantail in which almost immediatly contracted fin rot. I have treated with meds. Although I am only on day 2 of treatment, he just seems to be getting worse. If we are not able to save him, will this disease still live on in our tank? Do I have to worry about putting something else in it? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments (12)

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    18 years ago

The most important thing you can do for your fish is to make sure the ammonia and nitrite levels in the water are 0ppm or as close to 0ppm and nitrate below 100ppm (40 or lower is even better) as possible. In a newly set up tank, this can mean daily partial water changes of 20-30%. Any sick fish will have a much harder time of healing if the water conditions are poor.

If the fin rot is mild to moderate, your fish will most likely recover if you maintain the tank water. Goldfish can live 10-20 years so keep the water clean (with nutrients at the levels previously listed) and enjoy :-)

If your fish doesn't make it, it is unlikely that your tank will harbor any finrot causing disease. Just be sure the nutrient levels in the water are under control before you try another occupant. Good luck!

• woeisme
    18 years ago

More then likely the fin rot was caused by toxins in the water. This is common in an unestablished aquarium. Instead of me going on check the link below about "cycling". In the mean time the best medicine is adding salt and a large water change. The medication is most likely not necessary. Some medications will destroy the bio-filter, this is explained in the article link. Improving water parameters is the best medicine, salt will help also.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Here it is sorry

Here is a link that might be useful: The Krib's beginer FAQ

• jotam10
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for all your help. The link gave me a lot of info that should really help.

• skygee
    18 years ago

Please keep in mind that the 10 gallon will not stay large enough for a goldfish. Goldfish produce a vast amount of waste - which is why they always suggest larger digs for them,

Water changes will help enormously. Add aquarium salt as well.

Here's a link:
    http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/articles_details.php?article_id=150

Here is a link that might be useful: koi vet goldfish info

• jotam10
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, it's me again. I just got back from the pet store and found out that my amm. and nitrite levels are high. I am showing nitrates, I believe that part is good. I did about a 25% water change, added some more salt and some live plants.

What do you suggest for the amount of salt to add? I am just going by the package which suggests that you add 1 heaping tbls. per 5 gallons. Everythings seems to be so subjective. My sons have been wanting a betta, so I believe we are going to set up just a small 1-2gal. tank for them with a single betta. Do they need salt also? Sorry for the many questions.

Thanks for all your help.

• skygee
    18 years ago

I have never used salt with bettas I've kept, but some here have. With goldfish, guppies and mollies, I do use salt in their tanks.

Keep in mind, not all live plants are salt tolerant. In fact, most are not salt tolerant at all. Do keep doing the water changes. The ammonia will really affect the fin rot.

Stick with the 1 heaping tbspn per 5 gallons for now. Sometimes we have the tendency to think if you use more it'll help things faster. Remember as you do water changes, you do want to add salt. If you're doing a 25% change, then only add 1/2 a tablespoon of salt back in.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

If the salt doesnt get your plants the goldfish will. The fish will consider it a salty treat. Live plants do help greatly though. Aquariums still cycle and produce beneficial bacteria its just not as noticable with a planted aquarium. Cycling a tank with live plants and fish used to be called the "silent cycle". Big time herbivores, like goldfish, normally eat them or re-arrange them. Some people have had luck keeping plants and goldfish. Just thought i'd mention that so you aren't supprised. If the plants start to wither and the fish dont eat them remove them because dying plants contribute to ammonia production. A few things that will help keep ammonia down durring cycling. Feed only sparingly every other day or even once every 3 days. Less food = less poop = less ammonia. If your ammonia spikes real high, over 2ppm, do a PWC using a double dose of dechlorinator, providing your dechlorinator also removes ammonia and states it is safe to do so. Prime and Amquel are OK for this. Avoid products like "Cycle" or "bio-zyme" they dont work.

• jotam10
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I was aware of the fish eating the plants, when I younger I had an aquarium with plants that I put in so the fish could eat them. It is amazing how much knowledge you lose when you don't use it. It is like I never had fish before, everything has to be relearned. Oh well, use it or lose it, I guess. I bought my own test kit today, but I am having some difficulty matching colors, they don't seem to fit. Although, if I wait long enough, the tank has got to balance out- right-please tell me I am right. The new development today is the water is quite "cloudy", as of tonight, I believe it is starting to look like algae.
    Well, I don't know if anyone wanted an update, but it is nice to be able to "talk" over everything that is going on. Thanks again.

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

we love updates...if i may say so myself.

is the cloudiness an opaque haze? if so, a bacterial "bloom" has begun. definitely cut back on feeding if you haven't already done so.

• jotam10
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had been leaving the light on all the time because I wanted to see how everything was going. I decided to shut off the light last night and stop hovering, and this morning it is almost clear. Go figure. Thanks for the interest.

• lolafish
    15 years ago

For ongoing help with goldfish, Koi, aquariums and ponds, with our very own disease diagnosing & 911 treatment expert, visit our informative website for goldfish owners.

Here is a link that might be useful: AquaPuppies - A goldfish Community

Sponsored