Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_99

Resetting up a tank that had an algae problem

cloud_9
17 years ago

I was fortunate enough to receive a 55 gal. tank from freecycle. I was the one to go and break down and empty the tank so I know just how bad the algae problem was - very. That was basically the reason they were getting rid of it. It was green algae if it makes a difference. It took hours to clean. I rinsed the gravel in small batches, but I am concerned that if I reuse it as is I will be "reseeding" the algae problem. I have a 5 gallon pail full of gravel. Anybody have any suggestions on how to "sterilized" this gravel (and possibly the rest of the ornamentation)? Or do you not think it necessary? I also have the old filter media sitting in a pail of water. How long will the bacteria live without aquarium water flowing through them? I could always toss them and use a filter from my 20 gal. to jump start things. TIA

Deb

Comments (8)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You might want to try a mild bleach solution to clean the gravel and other parts. I think that as long as the filter media is wet, it should be good to use. With regard to future algae, if you can, or desire, you could purchase floating plants to help cut down on the direct light.

• debndal
    17 years ago

Cutting down on the direct light is a big help - I only have the light on on my aquariums in the evening when I am watching the fish. Also, the floating plants will use the nutrients the fish give off. I use anacharis floating and christmas fern attached to driftwood. No matter how much you clean the gravel and ornaments, algae spores are everywhere, so you'll likely get it again. Not overfeeding the fish, lower light levels, live plants to use the nutrients and monthly or more often water changes are the best ways to keep algae in check.

• cloud_9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks guys! I don't have a problem with algae in my other tanks because I keep on top of it. I wish you could have seen this new tank - a bit over the top. I was afraid that despite my careful cleaning the algae might run rampant right off the bat.

My new tank still doesn't have water in it. My husband rejected my proposed site for it and the area he suggested (that I like better also) involves moving a large bookshelf and a china cabinet. I have twin boys who as toddlers used to try climbing the bookshelves so they are attached to the walls - so more than a casual moving of furniture. LOL

I have yet to have attempted having any live plants in any of my aquariums besides the occasional anacharis. I dont know why I find this a bit daunting since I am an avid terrestrial gardener. I even have a tub pond with water lilies!

Deb

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

An overlooked and underrated aquatic plant is what are referred to as plant bulbs. They are the cheapest of the cheap and hardy as all get out. They flower also. Other easy plants are Water Sprite and Banana.

What terrestrial plants do you cultivate? Ever try carnivorous plants? I know... strange question / sugestion! That's MY curent hobby.

• cloud_9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a passionate dabbler. I'm interested in a little bit of everything - from sun to shade, ornamentals to vegetables AND I do my own grunt work. I'm sure my neighbors wonder why I have so many bodies to bury when I seem like such a nice girl. (I double dig) I think carnivorous plants are VERY cool. I think a CP terrarium would be a good lower level for my aquarium stands. I'm sure my kids would be fascinated too.

The mix of plants and fish is what seems to complicate the issue in my mind. Don't a lot of fish nibble and uproot plants? Or are the fish chosen for their manners and are secondary in these types of aquariums? Would I need to get rid of my 5 gallons bucket of algae-spore infested gravel and invest in a complicated substrate? And do plants complicate water chemistry even more?

• woeisme
    17 years ago

Algae is usually present in any planted aquarium. A little algae isn't a bad thing. The way I determine what amount of algae is correct, is my personal preference. Some algae on driftwood and rocks make the aquarium look more natural and are a food source for some fish. The best thing to do is I.D. what type of algae you have. You said green algae, but that can be "green water"(floating algae) green spot algae (hard green spots on the glass) hair algae ("fuzzy" green appearance, slimy to the touch)etc. My findings is that the usual culprit is Phosphates. Aquatic plants use/need very little phosphates compared to nitrate and potassium. Most if not all fish food has phosphate added because it is a necessary nutrient for fish. Some foods have more then others, so look at the ingredients. Stick with the higher quality ones. It depends on how far you want to go to solve the problem. You can purchase testkits that show Nitrate and Phosphate levels, then address which one is the problem. It gets tricky though, sometimes the source of excess nutrient is from the tap water. Nitrates can be the trouble also. Potassium is really not an issue with aquatic plants. They really use the stuff up and from what I've researched they can't get enough of it. If you got a test kit for Potassium, and tested your water, I bet it would be under reccomended levels/ratio. There are safe products to remove Phosphates like Phos-Guard. There is a slightly less expensive one that comes in packets that fit in any filter. I think PetSmart sells them. The thing to remember with these products is use the Aluminum Oxide ones (little white beads). They only remove Phosphates and Silicates (they cause brown algae or diatoms) and don't release anything into the water. As far as lighting the proper ammount of light is 12-14 hours a day for a planted tank. The ammount of light should be 1.5-2 fluorescent watts per gallon (WPG) for low light plants, 2-3 WPG moderate light plants, and 3-4+ WPG High Light plants. If you have too much light on low light plants they don't use enough and the algae has plenty of "food". If you have too little light on high light plants, they don't grow well or fast enough and now the algae has food from the excess nutrients the plant isn't using. If you go over 2.5 WPG you should consider adding a source of organic carbon (CO2). Even if you are staying under 2.5 WPG adding a liquid supplement like Flourish Excell will really benefit your plants. Be careful of dosage if you keep anacharis/elodea, use the minimum or less then minimum treatment. Finally, about 20+ Oto cats for fish. These are very small, efficient algae eaters. They don't get bigger then 3/4" and don't do much to your bio-load. As a matter of fact they really don't effect it at all and personally I don't add them to the total when equating my fish stock. They are small enough to get on the most delicate plant leaf and suck of any algae without damaging it. They really do a great job and last a long time.

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

Fairly strong bleach solution and warm water. It will kill the algae and disinfect the tank and gravel. Rinse well and allow to dry completely.

I too like the little Octos, but don't think you can beat red ramhorn snails for algae control and unless you are keeping large Clown Loaches, unlike the poor little helpless Octo's, they aren't treated as snacks by larger fish.

Actually; rams any color, but the really bright red ones are pretty too.

• cloud_9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! I think the previous algae problem must have been of the green hair type. The previous owner had a four year old that in his words, "liked to feed the fish", so I'm wondering if she wasn't doing a little extra feeding. When I cleaned the dry algae off the sides with a single-edged razor blade, it came off in strips that were like a delicate homemade paper - very interesting. I've never had an algae *problem* myself, and was not looking forward to the possibility of an "instant" one. It sounds like it won't be an issue. I finally got everything moved and will probably fill it up tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to having aquarium plants in the future and will keep everyone's recommendations in mind.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional