Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoenix28_gw

im back........fancy's and platy's

phoenix28
18 years ago

ok....i posted earlier about getting some fancy's, neon tettras, but i have a new tank and only have 3 female fancies. I want to get a male and 4 variable platies. 1 male and 3 female. My new tank is a 29 gal long....is this an ok idea?

Comments (12)

• woeisme
    18 years ago

As long as the nitrogen cycle has established, add the new fish. Maybe just the 2 males or 3 females one week, then the remainder a week or 2 later. Are you going to use a QT tank before placing them in the 29G (long?)?

• phoenix28
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ummmmm.....i know this may sound bad, but i dont have a QT tank yet......so no.......

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Sorry but I have to ask..fancy what???

• woeisme
    18 years ago

True, I assumed guppies. "ummmmm.....i know this may sound bad, but i dont have a QT tank yet......so no......." Its the safest route to go, if one fish has a problem you dont have to treat a whole aquarium and risk having to start over. I have not always done this before and was lucky, somewhat. I have also had whole aquariums crash by not doing it. I think its totally worth it. If you still have your old smaller aquarium(I think you had a 6 gallon, unless I'm confused w/someone else) you can use that. With that said, its really up to you. One suggestion would be to use the smaller one or buy a 10 gallon bare tank, a heater, and an inexpensive filter or a complete kit and "fishless" cycle it. Get it when you get the new fish (put them in the established tank) That way you have a backup started just in case. Some fish disease/parasites don't show up even after a month. I have been keeping new additions 2 months in QT for this reason.

• phoenix28
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hey, just a heads up, one of my platies died giving birth bout a week after i got her. I found two of the babies, one is healthy, but one just sits on the bottom, oh yeah, i have them both in a breeder net. I tried feeding them liquid hard boiled egg yolk, they didnt seem to eat it, i tried powdered fish flakes, no luck, im going to get some fry food. Any suggestions? Thanx

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Did you raise the temperature? Breeders usually keep the temps. on the high side in fry tanks to increase metabolism and encourage eating.

• skygee
    18 years ago

I never had any issues with fry eating regular finely crushed fish food - but fry food will have them grow very quickly (extra protein).

I'm sorry about your female. Sometimes this will happen. Sometimes they've already bred a lot prior to coming to your home.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

I have never raised the temps in a fry tank...I keep fry tanks between 76 and 78F....There is no need to raise the temps.

You don't have to use those liquid formulas...they are not needed and only polute the water. Livebearer fry can eat crushed flakes.....if you want to give them a really good start give a small amount of newly hatched baby brineshrimp....but even this is not needed.

The fry that is sitting on the bottom.....has something wrong with it.....its best to cull.

Also livebearer nets are not a good thing to use.....if you are going to breed these guys....you should have another tank to move the fry into....to grow out.

Sierra

• skygee
    18 years ago

I don't use breeder nets or containers either. I just provide an environment which has lots of hiding places. I started out with artificial plant mats... letting them float up on top of the tank. The babies would hide in there. Now I have a mix of artificial and one live plant (which grows like a weed).

In a sense, I don't mind the slower babies to be eaten. And in my tank it does seem to be "the survival of the fittest" set up - but plenty seem to survive well. And I never seem without lots of guppies to give away on all occasions! ;)

I've had platy babies survive in my large community tank. Again - that tank has tons of places to hide. I don't get a lot of babies - maybe just one or two survive, but quite honestly, I'm happy enough with that.

With Platys, I don't mix them up (like I do with guppies). If I want Micky Mouse blues, I only get Micky Mouse blues. I like the wild colours that guppy mixes produce, and I'm not into breeding for specific colour or pattern. But with platys if you let them mix, you don't really get very pretty platys in return.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Your right sky, the problem is...buying platys that haven't been in a mixed tank in the store. Well thats a problem here anyway...maybe not everywhere.

Sierra

• skygee
    18 years ago

If I had some really pretty platys, I'd throw them in with the guppies for your water sprites, Sierra!

heh heh....

Pretty guppies going your way soon!

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Eeeekkkkkssss! :O Nope don't really need any platy's either. LOL!

You guys are wearing me down....

Sierra

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!