Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cee219

Fish Recommendations

cee219
19 years ago

I'm considering starting up a freshwater aquarium, I've done quite a bit of research and I'm beginning to look at fish. I really swordtails, guppies, harlequins and Angelfish (which I'm not sure on), but I'm having a tough time deciding on which ones and trying to choose ones that will become compatible. The tank will be 30-40 gallons. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• Cactopus
    19 years ago

Some people love live bearers, some people don't love livebearers. I don't like them, but don't take my advice as exclusive. I do love angelfish, and with a tank of your size you have a good many options for angelfish and what to mix with them. Keep in mind, as you have probably read in this forum, angelfish are dominant, and will bully fish of similar water levels. There are a great deal of tetras available that are compatible with angels, and really quite beautiful.

• succulentfreak
    19 years ago

I would vote for angels as well. They are so much fun to watch and there are so many different "looks". It's cool to see them grow up from little guys too. I had a whole tank full for a long time and never had fighting problems. Good luck!

• erlyberd
    19 years ago

With a 29g or larger tank you can keep some very interesting fish. If you get live bearers then what are you going to do with the fry? If you have lots of spare fry its wise to get a fish that you can give the fry (feeders) to. Not sure about angels (they are cichlids) and may eat your guppies and or kill them.

I would bring some water to a (good) fish store and have them test it for you. Then figure out what types of fish are best suited to your water parameters. You'll then need to cycle your tank and you'll be on your way. How much money do you plan to spend? Buying used is the way to go. You could get a 55g used for what you'll pay for a 29g new! Go as large as you can. You will wish you did if you don't!

Try reading the forums at aquariacentral.com and try cichlid-forum.com and go to library. The more you read the more you'll learn. Above all, good luck. The type of fish you want are quite boring when compared to the breeding behaviors and personalities of the cichlids!

• dasheen
    19 years ago

If you are going to get livebearers, then get some platties and some swordtails. They are my favourite livebearers. I think guppies cost way too much money and you need a lot to really get a good show. Angels are great if you don't mind putting up with their occasional tantrums and voracious appetites. They seem to eat everything in site including my poor otocinclus catfish's algae waifers.

I also love tetras and rainbowfish.

Dasheen

• Getsmart64
    19 years ago

Cichlids are such entertaining fish and they come in a multitude of colors. With a 30 gallon tank...you will prob only be able to keep 3 or 4 cichlids....the cichlids from the african lakes are more colorful in my opinion...they are fun to watch...

• beaners
    19 years ago

I've kept harlequin rasboras and guppies together with success. One important thing to consider is the ADULT size of your fish. My guppies don't tend to get much bigger than neon tetras, and I've heard one too many stories about angelfish eating neons to risk anything else in that size range coinhabiting safely.

Another important thing to think about is what your overall goal for the tank is. Do you want several small schools of fish, or just a few fish that will be more interactive with you?

In a recent issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist had several different tank stocking suggestions, one of them was for a tank with Angelfish. Here's a summary:
    *4 swordtails used for cycling, either all females or 3 females, 1 male to disperse aggression (any offspring will most likely be consumed by the angels)
    *6 corydoras catfish - these are popular aquarium fish and can be quite amusing to watch, but they aren't everyone's cup of tea
    *2 angelfish (whatever variety you prefer)...I personally don't have experience with angelfish so other people could recommend better numbers to keep them from beating up on each other or other fish, but the magazine said 2 for a 30 gallon and 4 for a 55

Hope this helped...I still have the article if anyone else was interested in the tank setups.

Good luck!!

Kayleigh

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction