Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ich on Baby Goldfish

Posted by jcjcjcx (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 08 at 20:27

Last fall I brought 10 of the smallest goldfish indoors that were born in my pond this past summer/fall. All are
doing well, but a few weeks ago I noticed that the smallest is full of spots (like sprinkled salt), kinda
looks like the pictures of ich I found on the internet. It's definetey NOT fungus (had previous experience with
that a few years ago).
Last Sunday I started the salt treatment (raised the salt level to 0.3% over 36 hours) and have not done a water
change since. The water temperature is consistently at 21C (70F). I don't have a heater in the tank since
goldfish prefer the slightly cooler water anyways.

So its now a full 5 days and I don't see much change, except perhaps the 'salt sprinkles' are more defined
(unless its my imagination). Only the one baby ever had these 'sprinkles' - absolutely none of the other fish had any.
Will I need to give the 'salt treatment' more time? How long can I continue the 0.3% salt level safely? Hopefully
its not bothering the other fish - everyone looks ok. Should I move on and try something else? And if I do, do
I have to wait until the salt level goes down with water changes? Or should I at this point move the infected fish
into a 'goldfish bowl' (I have no other tank) and try to treat it separately?

I'm not sure what to do next... (by the way, this little one is barely 5/8" long).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ich on Baby Goldfish

I would go the a pet shop and get some ich medicine. I don't think the salt will be effective. If the salt doesn't work you run the risk of the other fish getting it. Not worth the risk.

o
RE: Ich on Baby Goldfish

Buy ich medicine, raise the temp a bit, and crank the aeration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here