Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foxykitten350234

Here she is

foxykitten350234
18 years ago

I finally got a picture of Miss Betta. Since I have told you all about her I thought I would share her picture.

{{gwi:374688}}

If you look close at the left side middle of the picture you will also see the red tailed shark peking into the shot.

Foxy.

Comments (12)

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

great job! mine allways come out blurry.

• james_ny
    18 years ago

Beautiful fins. Guess you'd better include the shark in future pics.

• foxykitten350234
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This was my first attempt at taking pictures of fish. I think it was beginners luck.lol Miss Betta is a sweety and a ham. I swear she was posing for the camera. I should try to get a another picture of the shark. It isn't easy with the ham getting between the camera and the shark though.lol

Foxy.

• Sarah_Bella
    18 years ago

What a beautiful girl you have there!!

How old is she? Her fins are awfully long for a girl, can you get a pic of her from the side?? Do you see an ovipositor?

Sorry, bettas are my passion ;) I breed them and thru all my research i have never seen a long finned fem like yours :) she certainly is pretty :) Cambodian right? she doesnt look like she has a black layer, but that could be the angle too ....

• foxykitten350234
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Sara! I'm not a Betta or a fish expert so some of the words you are using are going over my head:)Please feel free to teach me about these wonderful fish. First, what is an ovipositor and where would one look for it? I couldn't tell you if she is a Cambodian, because I don't know what one is. I don't know about black layers, but I can tell you I see some black on her. Here is what I do know about her~ I bought her from a Petco about three weeks ago. She was marked as a female, but I was beginning to wonder if she was a mismarked young male so I held a mirror up to her to see if she would fluff up. She tryed to make friends with the fish in the mirror.lol The picture does make her tail look a little bit longer then it is. I will try to get a better side shot for you...if she will stop mugging for the camera long enough.lol

Foxy.

• naturelover_mtl
    18 years ago

Wow! Foxy, what a cutie she is! I'm in love with these Bettas! They are so gorgeous and so full of personality!

• foxykitten350234
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Naturelover! Bettas are great fish.

Since Miss Betta is so full of personality I have had a devil of a time catching a side view of her. To date this is the best I have come up with.
    {{gwi:374690}}
    Darn if this picture doesn't make her fins look longer then they really are.

Foxy.

• Sarah_Bella
    18 years ago

An ovipositor is the tube from which they lay eggs. It is small but noticable on the underside near their "bums" lol. its like a small white bump. Males don't have these.
    i'll look after dinner to see if i can find a good pic of a female with a visible tube... :) Females are generally puffier around the middle too, yours looks so slim and sleek!! She certainly is a fine looking fish :)

Cambodian is most often used to describe a betta with a flesh coloured body and coloured fins. Technically it means a betta with no black layer. A Betta has 4 layers of colour Black, red, yellow and iridescent (blues and greens)

I have a few cambodians, ill learn how to post some pics after dinner
    :)

• foxykitten350234
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Sarah! I will have to try to get a good look at her bum:) Oh believe me Miss Betta looks like a little porker to me.lol I had males for years and they always had a nice slim look to them, but she looks like she has a gut. I think she is just photogenic and her girth doesn't tend to show up in pictures. Who said the camera adds weight? Who said red wasn't a slimming color? They obviously haven't met this fish!lol

Ah, so that is what a Cambodian is. I thought it might have been a name to describe the shape of the fins. I need to do more studying on Bettas. I thought she had a paler color to her body because she is a female. All the females I have seen tend to be quite pale in color. I think that is why she stood out so much to me, aside from that non stop personality, her fins are just so strikingly bright compared to other females.

If by chance she is a overweight young male what else could I look for or do to confirm her sex. I want to be sure she is definately a little girl. The only thing I could come up with was show her her reflection in a mirror and see if she would fluff up. I don't know if a young male reacts that way or not. She certanily didn't. All she wanted to do was meet the fish in the mirror, no signs of agression there.

Thanks.
    Foxy.

• Sarah_Bella
    18 years ago

The egg tube is the only definitive way to sex. If you feel that she is a girl then she probably is, and a very unique and beautiful one at that :) Perhaps breeding her is something to think about ;) lol

• foxykitten350234
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found it! She is definately a little girl!

Thank you, Sarah! As a proud momma, I think she is beautiful, but you know how that is:) Since other people have been commenting on her looks I guess it is not one of those "A face only a mother could love" kind of things.lol I know nothing about breeding Bettas. I don't even have a male at this time. Maybe I should start reading up on the subject. Maybe check and see what kind of male would be a good match for her. Any tips or site suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

Foxy.

• Sarah_Bella
    18 years ago

Her tail is very long, i think a nice red combtail male would make a perfect match. I would stay away from anything with blue tones to try to bring out the red in the babies. You would probably end up with a lot of red babies and red cambodian babies. (cambodian is my favorite colour pattern, and crowntails are my favourite tail type).

I'd love to see long finned combtailed cambodian female babies hehehe. (thru breeding i have found the combtail to be a very dominant trait)

heres an excellent link for better understanding of colour and tail types

http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/alberni/501/bettatypes.htm#