Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Community Tank Question...

Posted by tropicalfreak z10b Ft Lauderdale (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 21, 10 at 20:41

I have a 55 gal tank that I got for Christmas. The tank is now gonna be a community tank. The tank came with two Pleco's. One is 4 inches and the other 2 inches. I wanted to find them homes so I could have the fish I wanted... maybe some Parrot Mouth Cichlid's, or Oscars, or Ornanda's and a Black Moor. But I am stuck and decided to do a community tank with common live bearers like Neon's, Guppies, Mollies and now I would like some Platy's (I finally found a pet store with them)..oh, and I want a couple Cory Cats too.
So, how many fish can live in a 55 gal? I am planning to let nature run it's course with the fry. Guess this would help.. currently I have 5 neons, 4 black mollies, a pair of guppies and the 2 plecos. I would like to get another guppy or two, a couple cory cat's and platy's. Really impressed with the different variations of Platy's I saw today.

Thanks, Cliff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Community Tank Question...

If you mean neon tetras they are not a live bearer. They do better in groups of 10 or more.
You can add more.

o

well, they must be Cardinal's then...

o

Neon tetra or cardinal tetra neither one is a live bearer but need same water conditions and in groups of 10 or more.

o

good to know. I was told at a few pet stores that both are live bearer. Just a line to make a sale I suppose. lol

K... so on to the real issue at hand...how many Platy's can I put in the tank?

o

I would have at least 30 platies.

o

Hi
Would suggest you get two pair of platies /swords in a cultivar you find attractive. You will have several hundred in a couple of months anyway.
Have you been able to locate Cardinal tetras in Lauderdale??. Got some names of shops?? Recently converted my paludaium back into an aquarium and thoise are my favorite fish lol.
The recent cold wiped out my entire population of platies /swords in the outdoor ponds but will wait for spring to restock.. Thanks gary

o

Hi Gary..
Do you raise Platys and Swords to sale? Sorry to hear Jack Frost was so cruel... With a pond don;t you have to worry about neighborhood cats fishing? lol

No, I haven't located any Cardinal Tetras..nor do I care to seek them out..lol I think I am gonna stick with Platys...

Cliff

o

Hi
Not so much cats but Egrets, Herons, and an occasional raccoon lol Platys and swords are a good choice,hardy ,colorful adapt to all kinds of water. They do multiply in incredible numbers.
Interesting that I've kept them in the pools since 1982
. I usually gathered up a few and brought them into the house during winter"Just in case" This year I didn't as my indoor tanks were being redone. Have had die offs before but never a complete wipeout!! My main heating system for the shadehouse broke down in Nov. so even those in the pool there were killed off.
Saved most of the plants though!!
Good luch with your new tank gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here