Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherryazure

High High HIgh (did I say high) gh!

sherryazure
17 years ago

I finally got brave and tested my gh... after one peppered cory died, and anonther didn't look quite right.

All else zero... so did it... I am aghast.

kh is 71.6 ok so I tested gh - shocked!

I kept putting in drops, and more drops and more and more until I just dumped alot of solution. Never turned green at all. Now the first tank I tested had the rocks I found in it.. Ok so test one without rock. Same. Ok test another, same. OK test garbage bucket storage filtered water tank.. Same. Ok test local store where I get my fish.. Midtown NYC.. 2nd avenue and 50's.

Same. I have as the cichlid people say 'liquid rock water'.

So this is the question for the board.

I do twice or more weekly water changes... (intuitive to keep ph down) it goes up fast, now I know why.

Just (all in 20 gallon two long one regular) a few inches from top. (but taken from bottom area) then slowly add much lower ph original water (5.0 or so from tap) dribbled in with extra fine air flow tubing knotted, so drip drip all day long)... then change one of two filters each per week.. When others at local store, said overdoing it, made things worse, so sticking with what works for me (my fish).

so, what does this mean. I am not big on the chemistry.. local store no longer has peat, but all (most all) tanks have driftwood and does not lower hardness.

A few years ago, was low, had to add coral, then things changed. I know they must have added lime to local water supply after high summer temps, drought, and bacterial outbreak (water mold ie same time as per columinaris bacteria out break here and at most stores in NYC, saw it in many many stores in most of their tanks)

Can anyone with more information, experience with this tell me what it means.

Most of my fish are fine... with my above procedure.

Would this be what is affecting my cats, or is it the agression/stress from other fish (blind cave with albino cories, and the other cories, gouramies, but prior to that there were no agressive gourmies or agressive fish!

Any thoughts most appreciated.

Any one have thoughts on the water softener pillows. ie takes out mag cal, but with sodium.. I figures, most of my fish can handles some salt, I add a pinch to each tank.. Even with cories then can handle more then most think not being wild caught (wild caught another story) esp during treatment. but a pinch.

Thanks for any help with this. not ready to go cichlid, although I like them a lot, lol Sherry

I will post on seperate link re cory.. ie inverted belly, looks sunken.

Comments (4)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Oh Sherry... (sorry, couldn't resist a reference to an old Steve Perry song!)Anyhoo, the coral keeps leaching out what is causing your water to be consistently alkaline... and probably hard as well. How do you feel about removing it?

P.S. - please send some REAL pizza my way! They just don't know how to make decent pizza in Buffalo! And they don't know how to it, either!

• sherryazure
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lol, well some of the pizza here is good, other isn't. No coral in tank or any rocks so on. Actually driftwood. I in beginning three or more years had to add as it wouldn't go up. Then something shifted. I listen on Garden show on Sunday mornings (wor in nyc) radio, that the city was putting lime in water (he would get callers in with re to their gardens and how to do this or that with re to ph and plants) So, NYC is adding lime. I have added peat but hardly budges it. Most of fish seem fine, kh is ok, but the other off the map. Which leads me to my next question which I will post re new hatchets... Thanks. Sherry

The gh was never green... way off the scale, then added and added.. same for local pet store, so system wide with re to water at least in Midtown. I know in Brooklyn they have completely different water conditions, and a woman who takes care of tanks for people, tells me that in this neighborhood, (Midtown Eastside) it is a nightmare! ieeeee!

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

From what I have been told, coral constantly leaches out calcium carbonate, so not matter how many water changes one does, the alkalinity comes back. lime in water may be easier to rid, but with coral in the water, it may never go away. That would be okay for brackish fish or African Cichlids or livebearer / danios... but not for those that come from soft, acid conditions, like cory cats.

• sherryazure
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Petiolaris, I have NO coral in my tanks. Driftwood... I am pretty sure it is the city putting some form of lime in the muncipal water (heard on radio last summer ie lime equals high gh/kh) Best Sherry

That said, all is well, so not going to add anything, except for peat in my aging gargage bucket water pre filter 'tank'..(gargage bucket large about 40 gallons).. still testing high...

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor