Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherryazure

Peppered cory with sunken belly.

sherryazure
17 years ago

One died from main tank, not sure why. Right afte old mystery snail passed. He sat flat for one day, second day (I know they rest but this was going on for too long) decided I better check. Like care with flat tires, just sitting too flat. He was gone, no stink, cause he was gone... I saved his little shell, I really liked that guy/gal... had him/her about one year.

Then cory (peppered) which did do strange things that I noticed, such as floating rather then on bottom (the swimming around up down I think is perfectly normal for cories, they all do it)... then seemed ok so didn't hospital, then found him with gutts eaten (nice pals those cories, first the snail...)

Then his only kind another peppered, isolated, not swimming as much so on... this time I seperated. Treated with melefix/ pimefix, mild salt, and very very slight betta zing.

After two days put him in ten gallon, planted quaranteen tank.

At first, he floated on bottom with head up, tail down. Thought that was it.. decided to do nothing. Half hour later, he is swimming at bottom looking for food.

so question... I took out the moon gourami (which I had put into 20 regular tank with four glass cats (all aok) one mom huge huge mother guppy, now taken out as she is getting rapidly older (humped back) so put her in ten with small fry - her grand grand babies! so she can pass in peace - too bad she loved swimming with those glass cats!)

and two bronze cories, and one left peppered.... have three spotted cories with band recovering from frayed fins in the tank with rock.. not sure why, but plant die off may have meant bacteria, all recovering fine.. clean water seems to do the trick, fertilizer tabs for swords and rot had stopped (local store doens't have so delayed, oops)

The funny thing is the stomach of this small lovely peppered cory seems curve in reverse.. either when the gourami (only for about one week) ate the food (he WAS agressive and I was watching, that's when I dedided it was a NO go).. they still got some though..

or something else.

Now one thing. Every time I feed frozen foods, in this case tubifex, fish die! Is this the cause.. I know bacteria/parasites can survive freezing and heat extremes... every time someone dies. I did some research and will order from Hikari as they have sterilization steps.

Any ideas.

In his new quarentine tank (ten gallon, cycled, filtered, heated, planted) three cories, pricsella tetras, one recovered rescue betta) he is swimming about, stoped floating head up - tail down when I first transferred him, and looking for food.

But his little belly looks a bit sunken, like an inverted curve. Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks Sherry

Comments (4)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I wish I could give you definitive answers why feeding frozen foods correlated with fish deaths. The company wouldn't be in business if this were a habitual issue. Could be a coincidence. At our wholesaler we fed frozen brine and bloodworms to certain fish, everyday, and didn't have problems.

As to the sunken belly, I vaguely remember a fish diseas called consumption.

I did a Google and came up with a site that described "hollow belly". Here's a copy & paste:

Fish Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium)
    S: Fish may lose color and appetite and become hollow-bellied. Fish become lifeless and often crippledÂwith a bent spine. Fish develop ulcers under the skin and may rupture causing open sores and "pop-eye."
    A: This disease is highly infectious and deleterious. Bacteria can remain living in the gravel to infect other fish when they are weakened. Some success has been achieved by treating infected fish with antibiotics (Oxytetracycline and Kanamycin), although often it is best to kill the fish and put it out of its misery. When removing piscine tuberculosis victims, do so with care, as this disease can be transmitted to humans.

• sherryazure
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you much. Well I removed the one (one died already) and treated with mild salt, and very mild clout in food. So far doing ok, but not sure. Found site that mentions wasting disease. I switched to Hikari (sp) frozen... triple sterilzed, and I could tell right out of the 'bag' huge difference. He is swimming, eating, so on, so time will tell. From what I've read also, they can carry these parasites (causing 'wasting syndrome') which when stressed, cause them to manifest... without a micrascope hard to tell, but he is hanging in there, doing better so far. Best Sherry

(ps, he was quaranteened)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Keep us posted.

• sherryazure
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Petiolaris,

Well the little lovely passed, just swimming, feeding along, more active then the other three 'chickens' which hide during day, and active at night. Again, one day ok, next dead. I am always shocked. His little stomach looked like it had a knife slash in it. No kidding. What ever it was, again wish I had a microscope, (have enough science degrees to do this, but no money for microscope), was fast in the end and drastically altered his (and other guys) stomach! Gutted is not an exageration!

I didn't bury this guy in my terrarium as I usually do, and for first time flushed for worry as one person's post mentioned, tb. Not sure.

My question is this. He was taken out of 20 regular, and put into own seperate hospital tank where he seemed to be ok. (well not ok, but not worsening, and eating, taking meds in food so on...)

So put him in 10 gallon quarantine tank with 3 cories (slight fin damage from maybe tetra nips) recovering aok. and one resuce betta after months of fighting flexibar columinars bacteria now fine (knock on wood) and put him there.

He was doing great, although I noticed his stomach was not filling out, even though he ate like a little pig - well that said it all. The whatever won, and lost, as the host lost as well. I loved these cories.

I have no idea how this came about except after dd, gourami caused stress, and latent tb or wasting disease (viral?) came to the surface. ( a year I've had them, and all was well, until I try to 'change things', ie add or move so on)

So will keep the gourami alone, and just have cat tank... cories at bottom and glass (asian) cats along top with guppie (female) whos swims with the school.

So my question is, can I add the 3 cories to the 20 gallon tank. They may have got what he had? But then he came out of the 20 gallon regular (verses the 20 long I have) as did his mate. so, I am watching the original tank to see for any cories with same. I can wait a few weeks and see how it goes, I suppose. Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks Sherry

Waaaaaaaa!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!