Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandig_gw

My poor Betta...Flappy

sandig
19 years ago

Hi everyone

I am new to the forum and to fish in general. I was in Petsmart and felt sorry for this adorable little Betta in a cup of dirty water so I bought him. My 4 year old named him Flappy. Now Flappy is a part of our family and lives in a 1 gallon filtered tank on our kitchen counter. He is incredibly active and very, very social. Even my husband, who is not crazy about another animal in the house, likes to talk to him to see Flappy show off.

Anyway, 2 days ago Flappy jumped out of his tank. I thought I had the water level low enough. I found him maybe an hour later behind the tank somewhat crunchy and a little grey but still alive. I put him in his tank and he swam to the bottom. I put Melafix and Stress Coat in the water and checked on him every 10 min or so. Within an hour he was floating to the top but still did not look well. About 4 hours later he ate a few freeze dried worms.

Now he has made a miraculous recovery but I am not sure what to do about his dead fins. He can swim and has resumed his normal appetite and social behavior. His top fin and the two skinny ones under his gills are stiff and dead. Will they come back so he can swim easier?

Thanks in advance for any advice on how to help him.

Sandi

PS We have since covered his tank

Comments (5)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler