Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandrews09

help for sick betta

dandrews09
15 years ago

My daughter has a betta. We had been keeping it in a bowl. Long story short, cat knocked it over (thought it couldnt get to it). We found it on the floor, but still alive. Were not sure how long he was out of water, not long though we think.

He's still alive. I got a small aquarium with a secure lid for it now (stupid not to have it before, I know.)He swims some, but lays on his side a lot, looks to have a small amount of fin rot on his front fins & tail. Ive put stresscoat in the water to help rebuild the slime coating on him but not sure how else I can help him. Myy daughters pretty attached.:(

He floats/swims on one side a lot, but can straighten up & swim here & there.

Comments (3)

• woeisme
    15 years ago

IMO/IME the best medication for almost all fish ailments is salt. Get some aquarium salt and follow the directions on the box. Also, Epsom Salt, find it in a pharmacy. Dilute it in warm aquarium water first. When adding salts do it gradually. Start with 1/4 of the reccomended dose and add it in the 1/4 doses for 4 days straight. Epsom salts won't have a dosage on the box for aquariums. You have to add it depending on the aquarium size. Both of these things are relatively inexpensive and are worth their weight in gold for aquarium use. Not to be negative, but I never had any long term luck with a fish that got injured from jumping out of the tank. The best I did was one or two that lasted 9 months, but less then they normally would have lived. Usually between the first days and 3 weeks they died. If he survives after 2 weeks and is pretty much back to normal, he's got a good chance. Bad ole' puddy tat.

• kdmwells
    15 years ago

I would love to chat about bettas. I have 7 females and 3 males. 2 are neutered-If they are allowed to get at each other and fight, they won't be interested in blowing a bubble nest anymore. I am interested in breeding, so I had to buy another one.
    I recently learned that the leach like things that show up on their sides are just scales that are loosened in battle. I medicated them several times for flukes and external parasites before I realized this...if you medicate them and they don't have the disease, apparently it doesn't harm them.
    I had a betta jump out of my hand right after I brought it home, it splatted on the floor from shoulder height. It was okay. It floated for a few hours, and suddenly snapped out of it. I fed it and listened to it crunching it's kibbles. Ha. If it is deadly quiet, you can hear them chew their food. Marvelous fun for children.

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

in gen betta's do not do well in cool water, bowls have dificulity keeping temps in the high 70's which they like. If you can safely heat bowls-great, if not best for really small aquarium like 5 gallons or so.

Its in an aquarium now, good, what size? What temp?,

the tank must have a heater and betta's breathe air outside of water.

Make sure water is Ammonia free and nirates and nirites are zero.

Wetwebmedia is a good fish site.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES