Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonheart_gw

mommy to be goldfish help please....

dragonheart
18 years ago

Hi, Two of my goldfish are pregnant, one is a black moor the other a calico goldfish,What do I do to keep the babies? what do I feed the babies?

should I seperate them?

thanks

Comments (5)

• Sarah_Bella
    18 years ago

have they laid their eggs yet??? You will need to trasfer the eggs into another tank if you want to raise the babies without the parents eating them.
    heres a feeding schedule:

After 48 hrs Crushed yolk of hardboiled egg and oatmeal paste, or there is a liquid available commercially

After 2 weeks Baby brine shrimp and infusoria

After 3 weeks Powdered foods can be used

First 4 weeks Feed 3 times each day

Up to 4 mths Feed 2 times each day

After 4 mths Once daily

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Hang on a second.......Goldfish fry are big enough to eat baby brine shrimp right from the time they go free swimming. It takes anywhere from 6 to 14 days for the fry to go freeswimming....usually around 10 days. Do not contaminate your fry tank with egg yolk or what ever. When feeding baby brine shrimp....clean the tank out every night and add fresh clean water the same amount that you took out. There is no definate schedule for changing the fry's food.....once they are big enough..introduce crushed flakes and watch to see if they eat them...at this time still feed baby brine shrimp at least once a day.

If you have access to a micro worm culture....you can also start them out on micro worms and then the baby brine shrimp. As the fry grow......you can add more foods to their diet.

Fry can be fed several times a day....in just small amounts. Its very important to keep the fry tank clean.....so if you feed to much during the day....do a partial water change that evening.

Don't try to raise to many fry....just start with a few as goldfish have lots of eggs.

Good luck
    Sierra

• Sarah_Bella
    18 years ago

i just pulled that from a web site. i personally have never raised them but it was somewhere to start. ;)

• skygee
    18 years ago

I've never tried to raise goldfish fry - but have had babies hatched in the pond. Either mutts (koi/comet combos) or shubunkin babies. It's kind of survival of the fittest in the pond set up... but I always seem to have at least 3 or 4 surviving babies. Didn't think I had any hatching last year, but spotted a couple of little ones this past fall (only about an inch and a half long). In the pond, if there's plenty of hiding places, there will always be some that survive. They probably eat the algae and plants in the pond, along with various bugs and small critters to begin with, and I don't notice them until I see them coming up to feed with the other fish. By that time, they can eat the small baby pellets which are always in my mix of koi food.

• dragonheart
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for the replys, will do my best..;-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting