Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenny_va

tale of snails

kenny_va
18 years ago

Is there such thing as too many snails. I have a 29gal community tank and have at least 200 snails. Should I thin them out or just let them be? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Comments (9)

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Are they the small "pond snails" that come with live plants or just "ornamental" ones you put there and they multiplied? If they are the latter I would say time to thin them out.

• kenny_va
    Original Author
    18 years ago

they must be the pond type because they did come with live plants that I bought from Petsmart

• skygee
    18 years ago

Get a couple of clown loaches. They'll take care of the snails!

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Clown Loaches are the best IMO, however they do grow large and live long if they acclimate well. 12"+ in length and up to 30-50yrs some say. I have a 29G and bought 3 originally @1" each. 2 died within 24hrs, as did there replacements. I have only 1 for now, I never got arround to getting him new freinds. I will soon, one of my next purchases when home renevations are done. Any how they are slow growers, my 1" clown is about 3" after 2-3yrs. The snails usually die off somewhat after they deplete the food source in the new environment. Do several small PWC's to remove any built up nutrients. Are the plants new ? New meaning less then 6 months. If there presence does not bother you don't worry about them, they stay small and they are harmless (if they are pond snails). An other trick is to wilt a piece of lettuce (microwave oven speeds this up) and drop it in the aquarium at night. In the morning remove the lettuce with the attached snails. If you get your plants thriving, little to no wilting leaves, this will reduce "food" for them (thats how the lettuce trick works). But overall clown loaches are the easiest, and very cool fish. They "should" be kept in lots of 3+. This makes them less "shy" and very active.

• kenny_va
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the good advice. I can't do the clown loach because my tank is already crowded. I've got two plecos, one I have had going on 10 years so it's like a member of the family. I will just leave them alone if they aren't hurting anything but I will keep the lettuce idea in mind.

• lizql
    18 years ago

If you don't get too grossed out you can smash a few. My cat fish loves to eat them.

• kenny_va
    Original Author
    18 years ago

lizql...Now there's a great idea, recycle the rascals.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Almost any fish will enjoy them "peeled", the loaches come equipt with them so you don't have to do the work. Did you try the lettuce trick? just curious. Your pleco(s) will scoff them up without the shells.

• kenny_va
    Original Author
    18 years ago

woe...no I didn't try the lettuce trick, but I have it stored away in the little grey cells in case I do decide to thin them out. Thanks

Sponsored