Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My betta

Posted by jokyo (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 30, 10 at 23:52

He's been doing a very odd mixture of behaviors lately and I can't figure out his issue. First thing's first, he's eating and pooping okay, and he does bubble nest, however he only swims around when me or my roomie are home, moving around near to his tank. Otherwise he just goes up for air on occasion and sits at the bottom of his tank in his lil pagoda. He also lost a lot of color when I first got him and I thought it was due to having constipation, which I fixed. So he's dull and appears to have brown on the edges of his scales starting on his head and the brown disappears halfway (goes in a gradient effect) down towards his tail. I do weekly water changes, and make sure I prepare his water correctly. He has a 3 gallon glass tank that's kind of round in shape that I clean every week when I change the water. I don't have a filter for his tank because of it's shape and I also don't have a heater for it because I keep him upstairs in 74' water. He doesn't get to see anyone during the day.

So is he depressed or is he sick, and if he's sick, what's he got and how can I make him better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My betta

It sounds like he could be lethargic from cool water temps. Bettas really like water to be in the low 80's. Sounds like your water changes are good - are you doing 100 percent changes? With a 3 gallon tank you could do an 80 percent or so as long as you're getting most of the gunk from the bottom of the tank, too. Bettas like still water, so not having a filter is fine. The brown color you're describing could be natural coloration. It's hard to tell without more description or a picture.
As far as depression, every betta is different. Mine will always swim up to me to say hi when he sees me. You could try moving him to a more lively area of your home. But I would definitely try giving him more heat - and a heater would be more efficient in a larger tank. A 5 gallon would be perfect although 10 gallons are more common and are a great price plus all of the accessories that you need are cheaper.

Hope some of this helps!
Let us know how it turns out!

o
RE: My betta

Get your betta a heater and a thermostat. Your fish is probably too cold. Bettas are very tropical fish - make sure they are warm! Get a heater that heats a 2.5 to 5 gallon aquarium.

Your size tank (3 gallons) is pretty sufficient for your betta, that is enough room.

TammyPie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here