Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Info on Elephant nose fish

Posted by yacheryl 9b W-Cent Fla (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 0:22

Brought home 2 of these today.
They're about 3 - 4" long each.
Can someone tell me the kind of care they need?
I bought frozen brine, how much should I feed them
and how often? Do they eat anything else?
Temp is about 79 degrees in the tank.
Thank you!............cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Info on Elephant nose fish

Go back to the store for frozen blood worms. They may or may not take the BS. If they do, fine, but they still prefer the blood worms and will do better on them. Their mouths are structured in such a manner they have a hard time eating anything they can't literally suck up whole.

Also, unless they are living alone, feed them at night after you turn off the tank light, when they won't have to compete for food.

o

I will go buy that tomorrow morning.
Are they more "bottom feeders"?

It's a tank I set up to grow water plants in
and just happened to see them at the pet shop.
I just wanted something unique in there.
They had leaf fish, but they were little to pricey for me.
I only have a few fish in there - 2 small feeder comets when I set it up.
Brought my betta in from the back yard pond
and 2 small blue botias...............cheryl

o

Yes, strictly bottom feeders. They use their long snouts to grub around, feeling for food and in the wild, eat tiny soft bodied crustations, insect larve, etc. They will literally vaccum the bottom, moving forward then backward as they smell food and try to zero in on it. They are certainly interesting and quite incapable of harming your other fish- unlike leaf fish, that lie in wait, then glup down whatever will fit in their surprisingly large mouths.

o

It won't get too warm for the comets? Bettas like warm water, being from southeast Asia and I assume elephant noses need warmth too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here