• pequafrog
    19 years ago

Nice job, Angelo!
    What kind of lighting do you use?

-PF

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you. For the lighting I used different combonations of floresent lights 2 reptile glo 8.0 (for animals), 2 life glow(for plants), and 1 power glow(aquatic plants & fish). I also used 2 day glow and 1 night glow bulbs for temperature and basking.

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

How big is your basilisk? How big is the enclosure?

I was considering saving one from the petshop (owner turn in the female has just been sitting there for the past few months but the males were gone quick) until I realised it was maybe a foot and only half grown.

Adrea

• daylilyluver
    19 years ago

Angelo:

Details man. Where'd you get the river tank kit from? I saw one online (killed the link so I don't remember the name) but the color was too peachy for me. I tried using some expanding foam, etc but didn't like working with it.

What size tank? and what are it's inhabitants.

Presently I have a fire belly toad and a sm (soda can sized) painted turtle. That'd I'd love to have share a home. My son would like a salamander too.

Thanks for the pics, they are wonderful!

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was going to build my own river tank but I do not have enough free time. So I cheated and bought one already made. I bought river tank inserts from abundantearth.com There are other sites out there that also sell the river tank but they are all a rip off. When I finally received them I was not satisfied with the color or texture of them.
    To make them look like real rock I bought all purpose epoxy resin for $10 and play sand for $2. I mixed the sand with the epoxy resin to a peanutbutter like texture and spread it all over the inserts unevenly with my hands (I wore gloves) after that I dusted a little bit of sand over them. All of this took about 2 hours. The next day I soaked the inserts in the tub to wash off the excess sand. To my surprise there was almost no sand in the tub. When the inserts dried I set them up on my floor and I was very happy with the outcome. From fake, ugly, peach, and plastic molds my inserts now look like real rock.
    I then purchassed a 120 gal extra high tank (60x18x26) to fit the extra large river kit. I needed a ex large kit because I wanted to create a land area in my tank.
    I made the land area just by putting extra gravel on the far side of the tank. I then coverd the gravel with fresh sheet moss and that was it. I put a bunch of different plants in the tank some in the dry plant pockets and some are hydroponicly planted.
    I acctually have 2 basilisks male & female they are about 20" w/ tail there about 8 months old now. I bought them at a reptile show when they were babies only about 4" long. When their that young there not sexed. I guess I was lucky. My tank also houses:
    2. giant day gekos
    2. White's tree frogs,
    1. red eye tree frog
    6. fire belly toads
    1. southern painted turtle
    2. yellow sppoted salamanders
    3. newts rough skin paddle tail
    lota of fish dianos, clown loach, pleco, cory cats, bala sharks, tetra and some more that I dont know what they are called.
    I also have a bullfrog but he is going back to the pet store. I bought him as a tadpole They told me that he would morph into a tree frog they lied to me He is huge Im scared that he will eat every thing in my tank.

• daylilyluver
    19 years ago

Thanks for the tips, I think I'm going to convert my 55 gallon into a river tank and put all the creatures we presently have in there.

• PhoenixRain
    19 years ago

WOW thats something out of a museum!! what a great job you did on your tank. I liked the frog and the turtle. :)

Sponsored