Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mango_fish

Bubbles sticking to sides on surface.

MANGO_FISH
19 years ago

Hello! I've just recently moved my 3 baby orandas into a new and improved 25 gallon tank. My water quality is spot on and the temps resting at 73f/23c. The fish are happy and eating and showing no signs of sickness at all.

Now these bubbles. I looks a bit like soap scum. The bubbles dont burst when you pick them up and they stay at the side if the tank on the surface. Occasionally the fish will go up and try to eat them. But you know goldies, they'll eat anything! bAny ideas what this is and how to stop it before it takes over the surface of my tank?

Comments (11)

• pequafrog
    19 years ago

Mango, that's not a bubble-nest is it?

-PF

• MANGO_FISH
    Original Author
    19 years ago

What do you mean Bubble nest? Never heard of it! Is it somthing to do with spawning. 2 of the fish were rubbing the belly of the other one and chasing him/her around!

• pequafrog
    19 years ago

Yeah..I think fish that make bubble nests are classified as labrynth fish. These are:

Blue Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)
    Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis vittatus)
    Dwarf Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis pumilus)
    Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
    Giant Gourami (Osphronemus goramy)
    Golden Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)
    Honey Gourami (Colisa chuna)
    Kissing Gourami (Helostoma temminckii)
    Moonlight Gourami (Trichogaster microlepis)
    Opaline Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)
    Paradise Fish (Macropodus opercularis)
    Pearl Gourami (Trichogaster leeri)
    Roundtail Betta (Betta plakatthai)
    Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta splendens)
    Thick-lipped Gourami (Colisa labiosa)

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

It may be a high ammount of Dissolved organics. The only thing I can think of is to just keep up or add water changes. If you want a chemichal fix look up potassium permanganate but do note I'm not suggesting it ;) It's better to just fix it with more frequent water changes and general good housekeeping.

In the long run 3 orandas in a 25 is too many goldies.

Adrea

• MANGO_FISH
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I did have all 3 in a 30 litre tank. I recently moved them into this one on the advice of a friend. They are only t iny at the moment and all the water levels are good. Except for the cycle. I've been doing some research into the whol spawing thing and have come to the conclusion that the bubbles may well have been eggs! But i was hasty and scooped them out and down the sink they went! I was gutted but i figured, as my tank is marginal for 3 having a whol bunch of babys too would have been too much. I'll just have to wzit for a bigger tank before i let them have babys. Thanks guys!

• sunny512
    19 years ago

Before you decide to not allow your fish to spawn find out if any of your local fish stores will take babys for trade. My store will take my fish for trades on food and supplies. It's a nice way to allow nature to take it's course with out over doing the population.

• pequafrog
    19 years ago

I'm with you, Sunny. I do the same things with Convict Cichlids.

-PF

• sunny512
    19 years ago

I'm always looking in the mouths of my Cichlids.

• pequafrog
    19 years ago

Don't look a gift Cichlid in the mouth! ;-)

-PF (andy)

• kirap
    19 years ago

Its not unusual for bubbles to form on sides and other parts inside a new tank setup, no matter how clean you have it.

If it continues after a week or two and forms just bubbly froth on the surface in the corners or around the filters discharge its probably organics in the water causing it.

• hocky
    17 years ago

How old or how big are your goldfish? They won't be in breeding condition until they are at least about 3 or 4inches long or more. The bubbles sound more like scum from the filter which have come out and have become mixed up with gasses from the decaying feaceas and food leftovers. Fish eggs are very small, but the goldfish eggs are just a bit bigger, clear round cells with a hint of a black spot which under a microscope or good magnifying glass reveals a fish embryo if it is fertilized. The eggs stick to plants in the tank on the leaves and on the glass sides of the tank near the bottom and not on the surface.

Sponsored