Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snakoyd11

blood??

snakoyd11
18 years ago

One of my male bettas has apparently overnight developed red marks/frays on the tips of his anal and dorsal fins. Being mostly white, I would have noticed this before had it been merely his coloration. Can anyone help me identify and/or treat this?

here is a link to pictures of the fish in question:

http://photobucket.com/albums/f61/augen_auf_975/?

thank you

-snakoyd

Comments (8)

• woeisme
    18 years ago

I am at work and have a very small laptop so the pictures are'nt that clear or big. I the betta is less then a year it is possible it is coloration that is now showing. I not it could be finrot, usually from poor water conditions or ammonia poisoning (this is usually more around the gills and on the body more then the fins) or it could be both. Like I said I dont have a clear pic but those are posibilities. Did you check your water parameters? Is this betta in a cycled tank or uncycled?

• snakoyd11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

yes everything is cycled. All my bettas are kept the same way. It appears to have developed within a day because these "markings" weren't there yesterday or I would have seen them when I looked. (I look at them all in the morning before I leave :)

• skygee
    18 years ago

Nothing looks like its disease or fraying - it looks like normal sort of coloration. I've had red bettas where the edges of their fins are blue - so I can easily see your betta having the same sort of coloration.

??

• woeisme
    18 years ago

How long have you had it? It does look more like coloring, especially the last pic. As long as the fins aren't fraying and the fish appears "happy" and water parameters are good, no worries. Could be just good living and eating brought out the colors. Alot of fish food now in engineered for color enhanceing with the right blend of nutrients.

• snakoyd11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I will keep an eye on him for the next few days just to be 100% certain its just a changing of coloration. Will post if anything changes.

thanks to those of you who responded :) much appreciated.

• snakoyd11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

the betta in question has deceased :(

• skygee
    18 years ago

I'm really sorry!!

But I don't think it had to do with the fin coloration. Truly, from the pix you put up, the fins seemed perfect, all intact. And if you hadn't said there was a colour change, I would have thought that was just the coloration of the betta.

• snakoyd11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It wasn't really noticable from the pic cause his fins were folded but there was an extremely slight amount of decay on the anal and caudal fins that wouldn't have been noticed by most, but when he was flaring at his neighbor and the fins were spread out I was able to see the missing "ends". It is really hard to get good pics of these guys! :/

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH