Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

Carpet in my tank?

christy2828
16 years ago

I have a 55 gallon cycled tank. There are two large pieces of drift wood, that seem to be growing a carpet. It did this once before, but I did a water change and cleaned the filter and it cleared right up. I've done that twice now, and it keeps on growing. I have several live plants; I've considered less light. I don't feel like I overfeed, but probably do. I have lots of small platys, and two 6" balas (my husband HAD to have them). It didn't really bother me, but it is getting out of hand. It is almost 1" thick, and it sways in the current, yuck! I think I even saw a platy taking a nap in it earlier. Do I need to remove the drift wood and manually clean it? Or is there something I can do to the water to kill it off? Thanks for any advice :) Christy

Comments (7)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Is it a carpet of algae? Algae eating fish would relish it. Is it for aesthetic reasons? Does it seem to be causing any environmental problems. If removing it is the bottom line, I would scrape what you can and bleach afterward, followed by rinsing well and soaking in a plastic container of water before being put back in the tank.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess it's algae, I'm not sure. I do have two chinese algae eaters, but they don't seem to eat it off of the drift wood. And yes, it is for aesthetic reasons, it really is getting out of hand. Should I get a plec to help out?? Thanks :) Christy

• christy2828
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of it:

{{gwi:375254}}
    {{gwi:375256}}

• james_ny
    16 years ago

Alge, are you adding any fertilizers to the water for your plants? Your water may have too much neutriants or phospate. Usually plants will out compete the alge for neutriants. I would recommend you take out the driftwood and scrub it off with a course sponge, chemicals can harm your plants and mess up your filter.You can check phospate and there are filter miterials that removes it. Also check ammo and nitrate, ammo should be zero and nitrate low [under 30ppm?]. Overfeeding can cause this also, do the fish finish the food or does some float to the bottom? I have it too, I just pull it off by hand when it gets over 4" or so.

• woeisme
    16 years ago

chineese golden algae eaters are useless as algae eaters. They eat some as juvies, but then nadda. It almost looks like BBA (black brush algae). The pictures are not clear and I am tired. If so, the only fish that will eat it are "TRUE" SAEs (siamese algae eaters) and some barbs like golden and tiger. Don't add algae killer products. I wouldn't bleach the wood either. You could scrub it with a stiff brush and boil it. This may work. If it's BBA then it is hard to kill.

• solidbrass
    16 years ago

Definitely algae. Is your tank near a window? Are your tank lights always on? If so, shield the tank from all sunlight. Covering the back with something dark (black) will reduce the amount of light reflected back into the tank. Reduce the number of hours you keep the tank lights on. The reason I suspect light is that it looks like the algae isn't confined to the driftwood. Your rocks and fern leaves are also covered, just not a much. From the amount I see, it appears that there is a good possibility that you have too much light. As mentioned, excess feeding and anything else that adds to the nutrients could also be a problem. I agree with the previous statements about chemicals. Don't use bleach on wood. Algae spores are everywhere. It doesn't take long for it to take hold if you feed it too much or have too much light or both. HTH

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I would add a pleco and/or otocynclus cats. As to bleaching, if you want to err on the side of caution, don't do it. Nice looking Balas!

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company