Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning a rock

Posted by triple_b BC 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 06 at 13:37

I recently bought a lovely piece of rainbow Jasper for my 30 gallon. As per the store clerk's instructions we put it in a mild bleach solution last night to soak (a small splash of bleach in a gallon ice cream pail with water). It gave us a nice little serenade for some time as it hissed and fizzed as water was taken up into all the little pores in the rock. SO my issue is this:

If it took a long time for the bleach water to impermeate all those tiny little pores, to what ends must I go to make sure all that bleach water is completely removed after? Being winter I cannot exactly go out and turn the garden hose on it. Do I soak in rinse water and resoake and resoake? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning a rock

I would go with a 3 to 5 times dose of dechlorinator like Prime or Amquel in a bucket of freshwater if you want to be extra sure. In the future if the rock is small enough to fit in a large pot, boil it for 15 minutes or if too large bake in the oven at a high temp for an hour or so. No reason to use bleach. Never use bleach on driftwood, use the boiling method. It helps release tanis (brown stuff that will discolor water) and also opens the pores to help it saturate with water so it will sink.

o
RE: cleaning a rock

Just so happens I have a bottle of Tetra Aquasafe on hand. Perfect! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here