Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
playswithfyre13

calico fish

playswithfyre13
19 years ago

one of ym calico fishes keeps floating at the top of the water...just floating there. sometimes if another fish bumps him, he'll move. but most of the time he floats right up at the top of the water, skimming the surface. is he sick?

Comments (5)

• imaginators
    19 years ago

Is there a lot of air circulation in your aquarium to provide oxygen for your fish? I added a small airstone bubbler to my 12 gallon aquarium. Also have you done a testing of your water condition PH? How often do you do water changes? I would say there is something wrong with your Calico. How long have you had him? What was his normal activity?
    Theresa

• playswithfyre13
    Original Author
    19 years ago

im pretty sure there's enough air circulation. the tank has a removable top, although the top itself of course is slit so that air gets in, i always remove it when im in the room. i have a habit of lookin at the fish from the top of the tank, so the lid is off whenever im around. ive had him and two other calicos for about a week, and i change the water every three days (it was recommended that i do it every other day, but we seem to still have clean water every third day). his normal activity was the same as the other two, always swimming, poking at the other fish, going all around the tank. recently a second calico has joined him skimming the surface, tho this one does it half as often. i was thinking maybe swim bladder disease, but these arent really the signs. hmmmm...

• imaginators
    19 years ago

Good evening playswithfyre13,
    Even if you have the lid on & off and there is air above the surface, you still need to have air bubbles throughout the tank for oxygen in the water. If you look at fish/pet stores you will notice most tanks have an airstone bubbler. They are cheap and serve their purpose. Is this a new tank? Many times when you purchase new fish, a fish may not adjust well to his new environment and die. I honestly think from what you are saying, these fish are trying to get air at the surface since there is not enough oxygen in your water. Fish continually swimming the surface, fish's gapping mouth are indicators of not enough oxygen in the water. I don't think it is a bladder problem or a disease. But again I am not an expert but I have seen when fish do not get enough air in the water. What would it hurt if you invested in a small, inexpensive airstone bubbler and see what happens?
    Keep us posted on how things are going.
    Theresa

• playswithfyre13
    Original Author
    19 years ago

absolutely. im certainly not arguing against buying one. this is indeed a new tank, so i will go out tomorrow and look into an airstone bubbler. i appreciate all your help, and will keep a posting of how things are going. thanks again =)
    ~T

• imaginators
    19 years ago

Hi again playswithfyre13,

Since this is a new tank, daily water testing a must along with 10% to 20% water changes once a week. Don't forget to add Stresscoat to keep out clorhine in added water. How many gallons of water does your tank hold?

Also it is important to add Cycle treatment to a new tank for good bacteria. Make sure you have the treatment to either lower or raise PH depending on what is needed. I would hold up in buying any more fish until your new tank is settled.

Nitrates can tend to be higher in a new tank also. Fish/Pet stores have buffer treatments for that also if it gets too high.

You might want to purchase a book on aquarium information. Also information on the type of fish you are interested in.

Welcome to aquarium forum and I hope I could help. Also most of all aquariums are so much fun and can be stress releasers once you have your tank under a controled environment.
    Theresa

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths