Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants and Plecos

Posted by Cactopus Z7 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 05 at 14:29

I'm working on an Amazonian tank setup. I have a 30 gallon that's been up and running for 6 months now. This was my first dabble with live plants, and I love them. Right now I have 5 neons in the tank. I've had cory cats before and I'm pretty confidant they won't tear up my plants, but I like the plecosthamus as well as the bristlenose catfish. Do either of these like to eat/dig up/tear up plants? Would corys be a better option for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants and Plecos

I would stick to corys... plecos can get huge and when they get that size need more room to move (otherwise just swimming will tear up the plants)

I love corys! Get at least 3 of the same kind since they do tend to like to stick with their own kind. Watching them school and play is really fun. There are so many different types of corys out there. Some are quite striking in color and pattern.

o

It depends on the species of plecos, bristlenose plecos are going to love your plants, literally, I assume that Skygee is refering to common plecos when he/she means they grow large because there are many species of plecos like Golden Nugget, Mango, Zebra that dont grow more than 3 inches, others like common, Blue eyed, Royal, Marble can grow very large. For plant safe plecos stay with those tiny exotics I mentioned, the only drawback is that they cost an arm and a leg.

o
RE corys

Corys are more sociable, don't you think?? Yes I'm thinking of the more common plecos... not those that can cost 25 bucks a pop!

o

I just think the corys are cute-I used to have a lot of them when younger, just not with live plants.

o

I agree about the Cories. They are so much fun to watch. I have 2 Jublii and 1 Green with several Angel fish. It took me a while to find the right fish but I think I have found the right combination.
I use to have 1 Placo that got over a foot long. They are really nice fish. I do not know what type he was. He was very dark brown with spots. He was sometimes hard to find in my pond.
Theresa

o

You could always go with something like a pepermint Pleco, thystay small, as far as function within the system Plecos and Corries have very little in common, plecos eat algea and wood and vegitative matter where as corries need a high level of protien in there diet.

o

Yeah, some of those more uncommon plecos are insane! I saw one last week that was $34.99! Yow!

-PF

o

I agree with getting a small school of Corys. They're so much fun to watch, you don't have to worry about your plants, & they won't bother your other fish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here