Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill1979_gw

Oranda has small red dots

jill1979
17 years ago

I don't get his, my water has been at a perfect level for over a year and I lost one fish last month that showed absolutly no prior symptoms before I found him dead adn now my Oranda who has stuck it through thick adn thin adn was my first fish has red little lines and dots all over his body, his fins are perfectly fine adn he is eating adn swimming normally. They almost look like vericous veins but in a fish. Does anyone have any ideas at all and should I be putting him in teh hospital and if so what neds should I use? Salt, tetricycline or Maracyn two if anythign at all? Again, I just checked every type of level out there a second ago and everythign is perfect, couldn't get better!

Comments (9)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I don't know what is going on, but having worked for a wholesaler in a previous life, we used a lot of meds, often several together. One combination was Salt, EM, and TC. Maracyn, being similar to EM, can go with the Salt & TC. Both Maracyn & TC are good for bacterial infections and SAlt is used for soothing wounds and helping with their slime coat.

• raul_in_mexico
    17 years ago

Those "vericous veins" you are seeing can be indication of a bacterial infection. You can treat it with EM, remove the charcoal of your filter ( if you have a filter with activated charcoal ) and add 1 tablet of EM for every 5 gals of water every 24 hours for a period of 5-7 days, then do a 25% water change and reinsert your charcoal to the filter, let it work for 24 hours and change the charcoal for fresh one.

• jill1979
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This may sound silly but what is EM? thank you so much for your advice. I thought fish were more likely to get sick because of bad water, nothing has been off in my tank for over 6 months and I change my water once a week. SO why is this guy getting sick?

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

EM = maracyn, eurthomycyn (spelling), A furazone based antibiotic and vitamin b complex vitamins works better. I have found EM about useless, unless the fish has cloudy eyes, or you want to kill red algae in a marine aquarium. The problem you have is called "fin congestion" goldfish are prone to it. to administer thevitamins get some live adult brine shrimp and feed it to them. Get capusles and add it to the water they are swimming in. Try and get it to suspend and the shrimp will filter it out. A vet told me about this method of treatment years ago, and it works. I think feeding duckweed and or smashed frozen peas will help.

When using any medication remove the filter carbon.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

A little aquarium salt would be helpful as well.

• jill1979
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much I am heading to my fish store right now, but could you explain what you mean by try and get it to suspend, what? The fish? Sorry I need a bit mroe detail. I agree I have used EM oer and over and I have never seen any results I just keep doing it as that is what everyone says to do, but I will try this new technique if you can explain the suspend thing.

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

Mix the vitamins in the water, I guess you are really disolving them, and the brine shrimp will take them into their bodies before they are eaten.

• jill1979
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Do you guys have a naem for these vitamins? I went to my huge fish store and they don't have vitamins. I don't get it, but she didn't know what I was talking about. They have live brine shrimp but no vitamins. My fish is getting worse, still acting completely normal but the red lines are everywhere now as oppose to just a couple. I tried a maracyn treatment, didn't do a thing, I tried aquarium salt nothing, then I bought, Anti-bacterial medicated fish food for internal adn external bacterial infections and nothing, PLease help!!! I need a brand naem or something for these vitamins so I can call around. thanks, I am beginning to get really frustrated. I don't get this my water is perfect why is this happening? Are all fish this prone to sickness or is it just goldfish taht get this sick?

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I wish I could tell you what vitamins to use, but I've never used them. If you indeed have a bacterial issue, I have found Tetracycline to be the best at arresting in. It is also the most messy and ugly medication. Maybe try that, with salt.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone