Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imaginators

What Pleco is the most colorful?

imaginators
17 years ago

I am only in the planning stage and trying to get as much information I can. My new 75 gallon glass tank is not set up yet. I am waiting for my husband to finalize the stand he has built for the tank and then start purchasing the equipment and treatments. My question is what Pleco is the most colorful of the many variety. Also I plan to have Discus with the Pleco. I was very impressed with the appearance of the Gold Nugget Pleco but not sure if the main body is green or brown. Since I cannot afford to go into the saltwater aquarium with all the coral reef beauty, I am wanting my tropical aquarium have very colorful non agressive fish. Also I will have to buy the special Pleco over the internet, can you recommend a place where the cost of the healthy fish and shipping does not break me. Ha! Can you advise me on Pleco and where to shop? Thank you.

Theresa

Comments (8)

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

Gold Nugget plecos are very pretty, and a light green and gold in color. They are not the priciest of the fancy plecos, but certainly more than the usual.

Try Aquabid, or Foster & Smith for your Gold Nugget. You should also check to see if there are any aquarist clubs in your area. If so, the members will have good info. for you.

• cutietootie11
    17 years ago

Have you seen the zebra plecos? I think they are the most striking, but can be very pricey. I have never ordered fish online personally, but have known quite a few people who do. I have "window shopped" online for fish, and DO know that some places require a minimum purchase. Also, read their policies and be sure they they gaurantee live delivery. HTH

• imaginators
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for responding to me. I have found a place called plecoplanet that has tons of photos of them. The Zebra Pleco is a very striking fish. Do any of you know if there are any with red color too? Plecos are really good at hiding, and I would like to be able to spot him better. Albino Plecos are very nice. They don't have color but they do seem to pop out better.
    Theresa

• james_ny
    17 years ago

I haven't seen one recently but the zebra pleco is white with black zig-zag stripes. They were about $50 for a very small one [@2-3"], but it's been a few years since i've seen one.

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

Be careful choosing any fish simply for it's color, including Plecos. Not all are suitable for all communities.

Depending on mature sizes and temperments, a specific 75 gallon tank might support only one of one species, or many of others, or, depending on their native waters; none.

Meaning: do not put an Amazon species in an African tank and expect it to live very long, let alone thrive.

The albino plecos you have seen were most likely Bristlenose. If you keep a fairly neutral water tank, they could be a good choice for you, as they won't outgrow your tank. They have also been bred with long, flowing fins, which gives them a fancier look.

Albino Bristlenose are being produced in great quantities lately, so should be fairly cheap to buy. I attended a fish swap in Chicago some months ago, where aquarist's, hoisted on their own petard's of breeding success, were near giving away 1" albino BN plecos.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Aside from those mentioned is one called the Blue-Eyed Pleco.

• james_ny
    17 years ago

Yes the blue eyed pleco has striking blue eyes on a dark [black] body. You can spot the eyes from across the room. I've always liked the Royal pleco with dark grey and black horizontal stripes. Haven't seen a blue eyed pleco in a few years but the Royal's seem to be becoming more common.

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

I always iked the Mango plecos, they are an olive green with bright orange markings like the gold nugget on the dorsal and tail. They are small, ad do a very good job of cleaning algae, but they are rather expensive.....

or the albino bristlenose plecos are reasonably priced, and are probably the best at keeping an aquarium algae free. Sometimes they are too good, and you need to supplement their diet with algae wafers.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone