Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adam_f

I need a large (10'+) Marbled Goby....help

Adam_F
19 years ago

I wanted to know if anyone knows where to buy a large Marbled goby. I have one now, but would like a second one. I need a large one because, as you probably know, a goby will eat anything that they can get into there mouth. The one I have currently is about 17"-19" long. I have had him for about 6 years. When I purchased him the pet store employees told me that they would get about 8" long. I had no idea what I had purchased. Six years later, and countless feeder fish, I have a giant.

I have looked every where for one, but only only small gobies are for sale.

Can anyone help???????

Comments (10)

• imaginators
    19 years ago

I would check your local fish (not pet) stores that have large Koi. Your golby probably will not swallow a 7" fish.
    I have 8 Koi, some are over a foot long with eight 5" feeder gold fish. Do you have your golby in a pond or a huge aquarium? Mine are in a 2,000 gallon pond. Keep us posted of what you have found.
    Theresa

• pequafrog
    19 years ago

That's amazing! Do either of you haven any pix?

Thanks!

-PF

• imaginators
    19 years ago

This photo is of this Winter when they were bunching up and in the domant stage. They like to hide behind the tubing in the pond.
    Theresa

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:375427}}

• imaginators
    19 years ago

I can hardly wait until Spring to clean my pond and replace our pump's broken impellor. So all my equipment, UV light, etc is shut down except for the Air Pump. So the water is clear but have a blanket of algae on the bottom of pond. PequaFrog, how about sharing some photos of your fish too.
    Theresa

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:375428}}

• pequafrog
    19 years ago

Theresa, I don't really have anything new to share, but I'll put some pond pictures from last spring up for you to check out.

-PF (andy)

ps. You may have seen these in the Pond Forum. They are of the pond, and some visitors that have stopped by.

{{gwi:375429}}

{{gwi:375430}}

{{gwi:375431}}

{{gwi:375432}}
    {{gwi:375433}}
    {{gwi:375434}}

I'm going to get a 90 gallon freshwater community tank. When I get that all set up and planted, I'll take pix of it.

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

Wow, another marbly owner ;)

If you get a baby maybe you can grow it up quicker now that you know what you're getting into ;) In 8 months with a fair sized grow out tank and plenty of food you should have one big enough.

Adrea

• imaginators
    19 years ago

Oh PequaFrog thank you for sharing your pictures. I did not see them at the pond forum. But I have missed a few months also. I love your pond and fish, very beautiful. I especially like the layer of flat rocks you put on the edge of your pond. It really looks like a peaceful, natural retreat. Your owl looks like mine that I have at my pond. Does it's head move about with the wind. Ha! Your large turtle "Tortuse" looks like a happy camper especially chomping on his food. Your sweet dog looks like he is guarding your fish well from that white Crane the "visitor". I have to admit even though Cranes eat fish they are beautiful birds to watch. If all else fails from protecting your fish, try the sensor scarescrow. It really works well and no creature dies from it either. Thank you so much for sharing. Not all of us see photos that have been shown so again thank you.
    Theresa
    P.S. It would be nice to see Adam's huge Golby.

• imaginators
    19 years ago

Welcome Adrea,
    It is good to hear from you on this side of the forum. I favor my ponder friends. Somehow we always connect in places that we have interest in. Again good evening to all of you ponders, PequaFrog, Adrea and all of you.
    Theresa

• pequafrog
    19 years ago

Thanks, Teresa.
    I love the Egret too...from a safe distance. Between the possesed Owl (his head does spin around!) and our Jack Russell Terrier, "Mudge" the Egret seemed to have passed us by. The Eastern Box Turtle was a rehab. that my daughter found. He's back at the preserve near our home. Right now, we're having snow again...it's pretty but thank The Lord that tomorrow is March. I'm ready for Spring. I know the wild birds have been singing about spring for a couple of weeks now.
    Anyway, I'mm off to bed. Have a good night everyone.

-PF (andy)

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

Only 8 inches so maybe not big enough? Seller claims it's the last one they have. I can't see well enough in the photo to tell if it's actually a marbled or not. You could ask them if it is indeed a Oxyleotris marmorata though (you have to register). Try looking under mogurnda sand goby too if you're browsing shops. TBH it's hard enough to just find info on these guys ;)

Adrea

Here is a link that might be useful: water cow auction