Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snakoyd11

2 males

snakoyd11
18 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had success with keeping two male bettas together in the same tank? I used to have one of those dual betta hex thiingys -before my betta collection exploded, that is! :) - and after about a week of constantly trying to rip eachother to pieces they ignored eachother more and more and eventually they ceased caring about the other's existance alltogether. They lived side by side that way for about 2 years and after about a month they never bothered flaring anymore. they ate great, had vibrant color, and were just as active and curious as always.

In that reguard, does anyone think it ever possible to use that method to keep two males together in the same tank? Maybe a decently sized tank like a 30 or 55 gallon , beginning with the divider and then removing it when they lose interest alltogether in eachother as those other ones had back then? thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

• lambeaufan71
    18 years ago

I've had two male bettas in a heavily-planted 30G before, they were two siblings that I had left after I had bred two of my bettas. They never bothered each other, each one had their territory. One lived to be 3 and the other lived to be almost 4.

• snakoyd11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've heard of that happening before with siblings. I haven't the time to breed any right now (thusly the males and females are in two seperate rooms in the house). Seeing as you have had success with that method, do you think its possible to try it using the divider method? I really wish I could breed some but that will have to wait till later day :(

Thanks

• skygee
    18 years ago

If you have a lot of plants on top where the bettas can hide and establish territory, you can keep them together in a very large tank.

I currently have three male bettas in my community tank. They actually feed side by side when it comes to dinnertime. But after that, they go to their respective space. There's a little sparring from time to time, but no damage done. With all the action of a community tank, there's always some fish that will be swimming by to distract them.

• snakoyd11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think I will try that soon. thanks sky :)

• Sarah_Bella
    18 years ago

not a good idea at all UNLESS they are plakats.....

if you do it i cant wait to hear the results.... i dont think its gonna be pretty tho so if you have anything other than generic pet store variety veiltail bettas id rethink that plan. :)

• skygee
    18 years ago

Mine are all veiltails.

Two have been together in the tank for about 2 years now. The third was just introduced about a month ago.

All fins are in great shape.

• snakoyd11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"not a good idea at all UNLESS they are plakats....."

what are Plakats, I haven't heard of that before.

• Sarah_Bella
    18 years ago

Plakats / Betta Imbellis are short-finned, stockier, "friendlier" species of Betta. They are more closely related to the wild bettas than the long tailed splendons we find in the pet stores.

They can live together in groups (males & females)...

• snakoyd11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am trying it now. I have two of my males (lost count of how many I actually have) and they are in a glass partion divided 55 gallon planted tank with several cories and a school of neons. As of right now they are proceeding to attempt to mutilate eachother. This is unsurprising. Will let you all know after time what the results are. In the past, I had two males in one of those dual betta hex things and after about a couple weeks they seriously slowed down the flaring and after about a month did not even bother paying attention to eachother anymore. they lived that way for 2 3/4 years. With the plant growth and amount of room, this experiment should prove successful, but I'll keep close eye on them when I do remove the glass partion just to make 100% sure it works.

• skygee
    18 years ago

My two older males when they were first introduced were quite young. Just bought from the pet shop and were like half the size they are now. The third which went into the tank last month is also quite young. At first I was concerned he'd get beat up since he's so small, but he swims rather fast since his fins have not quite grown to full dimensions yet.

Mine rarely flare at one another. Maybe they are just used to each other's presence? They seem to be ignoring the third new one, too. They really seem happy to just go to their respective territories and hang out. Except at feeding time when I can seen them sometimes feeding side by side without any issues.

I really have so much action going on in this community tank - so it might also be part of why they're easily distracted.

• Sarah_Bella
    18 years ago

Bettas are so individual too, someone may be able to keep two males together, some may not. Age definitely is a factor, genetics too..

• alexis
    18 years ago

I have a male red w/a little aquamarine color crowntail betta who's real gentle. I have a female red betta in a square 1 gallon tank right next to his square 1 gallon tank. They get along and don't flare at each other. He even is friends with my cat, Christian who occasionally sits on the tv and looks at them. He has also drank some of the water out of the male betta's tank but the fish doesn't seem to mind it and just checks the cat out when he is sitting on the nearby tv. I wouldn't keep two bettas in the same tank but they do seem to enjoy having a betta fish in another tank right next to their tank.

• james_ny
    18 years ago

I had 2 male betta's in a 130gal pond and one hunted down the other rentlessly until I returned him to the store.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!