Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Me Choose Air Pump

Posted by Eagle_One 5b Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 21:43

I'm looking to buy a new air pump. I've narrowed down the list to the right size for my tank, but am concerned about noise, reliability, warranty and performance. How long do the diaphragm generally last and are parts easily available?

My research tells me that I should look at the Tetra Deep Water air pump or Dolphin or Marineland Airmaster. Your comments from personal experience would help. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Me Choose Air Pump

I use Rena. It's incredibly quiet.

o

I have a house full of Aquariums for everything from Ciclids to tetras to turtles. In all those tank I have only one air pump, just for looks. Idealy what you want is to have the surface of the water move around enough to airate the water. The filters I have stir the water enough that I don't need air pumps. I find that the pumps are only a hassle from floating air tubes to rattling units. The only kind of tank I would recommened a pump for is a tank that is tall and not very wide like "hex" shaped tanks where there isn't as much surface area.

o

Some folks set up tanks with undergravel filters... so thus the need for an air pump.

o

Schago pumps are the best I ever used, but their pricey.

o

I have a Tetra Deep water and I am using it outside on my Koi pond with a single line split 20 feet each way. They run 2 1/2 deep on a four inch round (2 of them) airstone. Even in the coldest part of winter this year it has performed fantastic. Its been running two years now. I have had aquariums for 40 years and I am very happy with these.

o

I'm running the same pump to my pond here on Long Island, Tommy. So far, it's kept a hole in the ice the entire winter. It's a keeper.

-PF

o

I've always been concerned about pumps. They always fall short... no matter what. I used be a firm believer in the old Silent Giant. That was a workhorse. This tetratec has been holding up just fine.

Tetra Tec DW 24-2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here