Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oranda goldfish with genetic problems?

Posted by raphael77 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 15, 10 at 1:30

I'm in great need of goldfish disease expert. Any suggestion/ help is much appreciated. I have a 40 gallon tank with 2 fish in it, a larger red oranda and a black medium lionhead in it. I've had the oranda for 5 years and lionhead for 4 years. Tank temp is 72F, PH at 7.2, Tetra Whisper EX45, Amonia Alert at safe level (yellow), as well as Nitrite, water change every 2 weeks. Around same time last year, the oranda had split/ deteriorating fins problem, paired with swim bladder disorder behavior. I didn't consider it as fin rot because it didn't fit description of fin rot online. He did have few blisters at the end of splitting fins. Yet, I treated him with Maracyn, then Maracyn-2. None of those 2 works but eventually he recovered by himself. Both fish always have nice vibrant color with no missing scale. This year, the same thing happen... but worse. He has been belly-up for almost 3 months now (peas treatment twice, but didn't work), fins are splitting badly, eating but struggling. The 2 fish are happy with each other and they don't fight, not even when the big one is sick. The lionhead, never caught whatever disease it is that the oranda has. So, is it a genetic defect or fish disease? Someone told me maybe he's belly up because his head is too big. The oranda does have huge wen, that seems to be the same size of his belly. Could this be a problem? Is he in pain? I've heard other owner doing mercy kill to their pet fish, but I'm afraid thinking: what if he will be just fine tomorrow as he did last year? Please help, anybody out there. And if I do have to put him out of his misery, how? I hope I don't have to. Any meds I can give him? Thank you again for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oranda goldfish with genetic problems?

Try the pea treatment again. Try 3-4 peas to each fish once a day. Also try to change at least 10% water per week.

o

That's quite difficult as he is not eating these days. I brought my tank water to petsmart to get second opinion, they said that all parameters are within range. They suggested me Melafix and Pimafix treatment, and once the fish is eating again... anti-bacterial fish food. He has 5 more days on the meds, I hope it works. Thank you so much for your help. I will try the peas again when treatment is over.

o

When Petsmart said all parameters are within range What are they at? Many at chain stores have no clue about fish.Melafix and Pimafix are items told to employees to sell.They are not meds.

o

Basically, they reconfirm my reading from original post with exception of water temperature of course. The fish seems to be less lethargic, even though he is still not eating and belly up. I fed the lionhead (2 fish in a tank) antibacterial fish food even though he's not sick at all. Oranda can swim longer period of time before flipping over again (30 seconds). Quite a bit improvement from 5 seconds. Other people at persmart I might not trust but this lady been working there at least 10 years and has many pet fish of her own. She's good. Not sure if Melafix and Pimafix helped, but all blisters are all gone now. Torn fins still there but no blood. Do you have any medication that you think might help him? Thanks again.

o

Ammonia alert is a stick on the tank test? Try using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test are more accurate.Check PH,ammonia,nitrite and nitrate.Before using meds, water parameters should be checked and correct.Bad water conditions and meds will not work.

o

Ammonia Alert is a reader that stays inside my tank. I reconfirm with petsmart because I was afraid that the reader might be broken. But they said that my ammonia is 0, and when they bring the test strip out compared with the chart,nitrite and nitrate are also in correct color. His red spots are almost all gone now. The trick is to get him to eat, which he can't, because he's still floating upside down. I'm tempted to force feed him some peas, but it might just end up stressing him out to death. Thanks again.

o

Never had any that would not eat. By trying to force feed is stressing it out.Forgot some chain stores still use test strips.Do they test right in front of you or test in back room and then bring out the test? What is the PH?

o

PH is at 7.2 and they did the test in front of me. I only have PH and ammonia test kits at home. For testing everything else, I go to pet store because they offer free water quality testing. What kind of test kit do you use for your aquarium?

o

Only brand of test kits that use is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.

o

Update on my oranda. He is still floating upside down. I gave him epsom salt bath 2 days ago, for 25 minutes but unfortunately, swim bladder problem persists. 10% water change is performed weekly. All meds has been discontinued. I hand feed him strictly peas for 3 days now, twice a day, 2 mushed up peas each time. Since he has not eaten for at least 2 weeks (can't swim to food), I'm afraid that he will die of starvation if not hand fed. I just get a pinch of pea close to his mouth and he happily nibbles off my fingers. Can't bring myself to euthanise the poor guy, he deserves a chance. Swim bladder problem still there, but fins look well after melafix and pimafix treatment. Bottom of belly looks red at spots because that part is not exposed to water. The rest of body looks great, no loss of color. Thanks again for all your help. Maybe one day he can swim properly again.

o

I'd love to see an update. I would expect that by now the fish has died or recovered.

The only thing I can think of that hadn't been done is to perhaps use a needle to vent the swim bladder a bit so the fish could right itself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here