Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do betta tanks need heaters?

Posted by larry_b Z5/CO (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 2:10

I have a betta in a 2 gal. tank. The winter temps in the house are between 65 and 69 degrees. Should I get a heater?

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do betta tanks need heaters?

Bettas are tropical fish and need warm water in order to thrive properly. Get your betta a heater ASAP, a small one that will heat a 2.5 to 5 gallon aquarium.

Temps that low that you mentioned not only will stress your betta, but he will be exposed to illnesses and disease.

Bettas are tropical fish, and need at least 78 degrees to thrive.

Good luck,
TammyPie

o

Thanks TammyPie,

My betta is much more active. I was also having trouble getting him to eat for the five days (I've had him seven days). Today he ate just fine. I guess this is what was needed.

Thanks again,

Larry

o

Hi Larry,

Glad to hear your betta is doing fine. See, all it takes is a little heater to make things better for your betta.

As for getting him to eat, try feeding him a variety of foods - betta pellets, frozen brine shrimp, freeze dried worms. I even cook a pea (for 5 minutes in boiling water) and feed it to my betta once a week, in addition to having him fast for 1 day a week. The pea will clean him out weekly. Good luck and let me know how he does.

TammyPie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here