Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherryazure

Bent 'whisker' in catfish and torn betta fin

sherryazure
18 years ago

Again, always something. (what a soothing hobby, lol)

The one glass catfish, I noticed (and very hard to see them) has one bent barbel which he didn't have originally..

Maybe when I used diaton filter, too forceful, although I filtered out take? Will this interfere with his ability to forge for food, so far, they are now coming to feed even at top of water... I think I saw one hit something once, they are skittish and move very fast (I lower light and have lots of large leaved anubias it it) Not sure how it got bent, or what it means to him/her. Just leave it alone? Will it fall off (about 90 degree angle) and regrow? The fact that he needs it to find food is what makes me wonder? (I tried to search for bent barbel, no luck, came up with below)

(A barbel on a fish is a slender, whiskerlike tactile organ near the mouth. They house the taste buds of such fish and are used to search for food in murky water.)

2 - White Betta with healing popeye and Hemorrhagic Septicemia (to the best of my diagnosis) ie red streaks in fins and reddish on body). All is improving, but eye may not fully recede... I had noticed as red was clearing, little white areas in tail (not fungus or anything like that) thought it was scar tissue of some sort as red healed?

(although I read some where and will try to find photo of 'it' as being some sort of internal fungus thing?) But really seems like repair work..

At any rate, now I notice tail fin has torn (clean tear here and there) no disease noticable, no red areas, no rotten edges, just like it unzippered. I had reduced and chaned harsher meds to maracine two, betta fix (reduced dosage) and small amount aquarium salt. when I saw this I reduced his box filter (no carbon yet) to a trickle although I had it on what I thought was low for him.. could he just have torn it running around in too much force, or on plants (stem hedge plant) or is tail fin just weaker from disease even though it appears much better.

Thanks again for everyones help. I am so greatful for this forum. Sherry

Comments (2)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler