Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Plant questions

garyfla_gw
17 years ago

Hi

Anyone growing Crypts emerged and if so how do you make the transition?? How much light is required for flowering and any success with seeds??

One more question on Lace plants. I have succeeded in getting seeds to sprout but can't find any info on growing out. Where can i find some info?? I suspect they can't compete in a heavily plant tank?? Does anyone believe these are actually bog plants??? thanks gary

Comments (4)

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

No the aponagetens (spelling) are aquatic, I understand the habitats dry and the plants go dormant. I have been told both the species of lace leaf require a dry dormant period. I was also told the lace leafs require rich growing medium, an old hand at Trickers near here told me they used composted horse manure to grow them.

Cryts do grow emerged and submerged, I have never seen them flower while submerged. The only ones I ever saw flower were being grown emerged in a green house under the tubs that they were growing waterlilys in, and were pretty well shaded most of the day.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi
    I had always understood that there is a dry rest period
    was necessary for magagascarensis but planted one last March
    went dormant in Oct and woke up in late Jan and has been growing like gangbusters ever since. Has so far only put up one flower spike which was chewed off by something. Last year i got sprouts from the seeds but I thought they were Crypts as they had no holes in the leaves still under two inches but the new leaves have the distinctive holes so they are definitely lace plants. I used top soil with a thin layer of gravel and sand as a substrate.
    Kew gardens in the UK lists them as a "Bog" plant which suggests that they go through a dry period but I can't find a known river habitat that ever dries up. But there is tremendous variation in depth and current and I suspect composition of the water as they run through limestone outcrops. Anywsy this suggests that dormancy is triggered by very murky water. Anyway, mine woke up but I think it was caused by a drop in temps though I'm changing 100 percent of the water per week.
    Don't think i'd try the horse manure lol having enough trouble with amber water with top soil lol.
    As to the Crypts I want to grow them in the Marsh area
    that is attached to the aquarium. I know they can grow emeged as I've seen them in habitat but was wondering how to go about it. Doing it suddenly doen't work and finding plants that are grown emerged has proven difficult. Would be interesting to get flowers and hopefully seeds.
    Thanks very much for your help!!!! gary

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

Gary,
    One last thought. If you want some Crypts that have been grown emerged look for the ones in the black hydrophnic pots in rockwool. I'm sure they are grown out of the water.
    John

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

John
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've been having to rely on mail order as a source for plants as the local selection is either poor or non existant.. All the local shops are 90 percent marine. Some of those SW algae are fantastic though I need yet another tank!! lol Think what I'll do is start some in shallow water and see if they will emerge on their own. Worth a shot Thanks gary

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus