Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fgilles02420

Black Brush Algae? How to combat?

fgilles02420
16 years ago

I believe I might be having a problem with black brush algae. Here are pics of my tank:

(Note - my three other tanks are unaffected. I don't think it 'came in' on anything, as its been a year since I added any fish/plants)

{{gwi:375709}}

{{gwi:375710}}

But there seem to be two things called black brush algae? It looks very much like this picture:

http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=139

but not at al like this:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/brush-algae.jpg

From what I've been reading, I plan to remove the plants/driftwoods and take off as much as I can manually, treat the rest with dilute bleach or peroxide, then when everything's back start dosing the tank with Excel Flourish and Comprehensive (trace). (I'll just toss the anacharis and replace with healthy stuff from another tank).I read this algae gets going when nitrates are in good supply but carbon/other nutrients are limiting.

I'm thinking as the fish have grown (firemouths doubled in size in a year) = more nitrates, plants suck up the nitrates but deplete other nutrients, this moves in?

I also read Siamese Algae Eaters eat this, would one play well with the other fish in there?

Please let me know if I'm on the right track, and whether you would recommend bleach or peroxide, and at what dilution. I also read someone did a complete tank tear down, bleached everything, and it came right back when it was set up again, so it seems unless conditions become unfavorable, it would very likely move in again.

Thanks! Also here are my tank details:

50 gallon tank with Emperor 400 filter

40% water changes weekly

4 firemouths (3"-4")

2 pictus cats (5")

1 bristlenose pleco

1 clown pleco

Anacharis

One anubias

pH 7.4

Temp 80

Ammonia 0