Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fish for cold water?

Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 8:10

I've got two fish at the mo,a Goldfish and a Cambridge Blue but i am curious as to what you can get for a cold water Tank. All I seem to find is the various fancy Goldfish which don't interest me,White Mountain Minnow and Weather Loach. Any more?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fish for cold water?

What water temps are you defining as "cold"?

I'm asking because many of the so-called "warm" water fishes can tolerate and even thrive in water temps far lower than generally presumed.

Oh, yes: for the sake of a Yank too old to change now; a reply in F as opposed to C would help.

o

Haven't a clue as to the temps,just room temperature,the kind of temps you keep Goldfish in. Or shall we say unheated?

o

Unheated tank; but may we presume that in winter, your home is heated and that like most fully clothed humans, you are most comfortable in a range of 68 - 72, with 70 being optimum?

If so, then you could keep most livebearers and common danios or barbs in unheated tanks.

Just a suggestion, but one of the finest aquarium fish publications in the world; Practical Fishkeeping, is published in the UK and the vast majority of people who contribute articles to it are also there. If you subscribe online, you can communicate with experienced aquarists from every corner of your Blessed Isle and may even connect with one who lives near you and can relate to your climate.

But if you want to give a "tropical" tank a try, I'd say start with a small school of a single species of danio and see how well they do. If they sell them there, look for some of the gold phase, long finned zebra danios; very pretty fish that are also innexpensive and- particularly hardy.

o

Hey thanks birdwidow! I just signed up for it myself. I enjoy informative websites with forums too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here