Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pequafrog

diy c02

pequafrog
16 years ago

Hey everyone.

I'm going to try to make a DIY C02 injector system. I have plans for one that's made out of a 2 liter soda bottle. Has anyone tried this method?

thanks,

-Andy

Comments (5)

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi
    Have used the method many times. An improvement is to use jello as a basis imstead of sugar water.
    Make up two packages of the gelatin per package instructions and let it setup. Brewers yeast works better than bakers yeast , but either will work.
    Will last at least twice as long as sugar water, gary

• solidbrass
    16 years ago

I have used both the sugar water and jello methods. Although the jello method does last longer, I feel that the jello adds an unnecessary step and expense to the task. By prepping a new bottle with sugar water when the old bottle is getting nearly to the bottom, you can simply use the old culture to restart a new one saving on cost of yeast. Both work equally well for plants, but this is not the one-step cure all.

Adding a thin layer of kitty litter under substrate, increasing light to at least 2 watts per gallon, adding Jobe stick fetilizer along with the co2 will get your plants moving in no time.

I use the above for several planted tanks all with Apple and Maylaysian Trumpet snails and fish. Some are filtered, some are not. The more plants you get going, the less filtering necessary which is another bonus.

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So far so good. It's day 4 (or 5) and the plants have already started to respond. I'm using eco complete for the substrate and the sugar/water/yeast for the C02. It's fun for the kids to do this with me. It's like a science experiment! I'll post some pictures soon.

• sherryazure
    15 years ago

Question for solidbrass and or pequafrog. Why would jello be better (I know it has sugar but any other reason?).

"By prepping a new bottle with sugar water when the old bottle is getting nearly to the bottom, you can simply use the old culture to restart a new one saving on cost of yeast. Both work equally well for plants, but this is not the one-step cure all."

Do you mean like the old sour dough bread starters? I added more yeast once (went for a while longer but then I wondered about the fermentation ie alchohol 'gasses' maybe going into the tank - it sure stank!) So, you mean fresh water/sugar/or jello, and just add some of the yeast culture to it.

Solidbrass I am assuming you mean the old fashioned clay kitty litter?

I have mostly Anubias so no substrate but if ever I do need it...clay has iron in it so maybe that is why it works(ceramics degree) (some that is, the darker, redder types - do to mineral run off from river systems degrading rock so on) (white does not, comes from higher up at source.)

Anubias started to not thrive in spite of fertilazion so tried co2.

I have been using diy co2 on two tanks for months now. I am pleased in that it is not as difficult as some forums/blogs suggested. I set a bowl with water I am going to use with sugar it in, into a cast iron fry pan and water in it = bring to boil. (fry pan water not top). The sugar gets completely dissolved. Then let it cool, start yeast (plain old baking yeast like when kid and baked) in some cooled water in a cup...

I use about two cups of water and one (more or less) cup of sugar for each bottle.

I fill (after cleaning) two water bottles with the water (used paper cup folded to make a spout, then added culture.

I tried different methods of securing tubing to bottle cap top - took cap off dish soap liquid as it had a 'snout' already, another I used the 2 part epoxy stuff for fixing plumbing (works really well on that type of plastic) so on. I just looked around and experimented on different types of bottle tops that already existed (spray bottles taken apart, can use the white tubing to connect through the hole to aquarium tubing so on).

The articles I researched made it seem daunting (with all sorts of extras like a balloon to allow for excess gas escape (must be some strong yeast!) to avoid yeast explosions!!!) but I discovered it was not necessary to go beyond basics, and I didn't do all the other things many mentioned.

The gasses were offgassing within minutes after I plugged it together (I let yeast sit a while (about five minutes) before adding yeast to sugar water in bottle, as when I used to bake bread).

It last on average about one week.

I put water pump for self made one under water to disperse (drilled hole into left over black tubing (from those algae cleaner things) which fit nicely over outlet of small water pump. I put both on timers so as to slow down co2 release at night.

Observations:

My water ph was extremely high...7.8 or more and hard (lime in nyc water) It lowered fast, almost too much so reason for timers.

Plants doing better, still some yellow so not sure, as I am adding trace elements and main fertilizer. (on the older huge leaves). One tank has florecent and other halogen (on dimmers) They are older plants so maybe lack of co2 all these years. Not sure. In native environments Anubias are exposed to cycles where they are submerged and later emersed - where the plants can tank in more co2,butrients then store nutrients in the rizome and hence do better when submerged when rains come.

So time will tell - I have also set up a 'refresher' tank for them (a huge globe with high humidity where they are 'planted' roots only with soil.)

My java fern which used to melt or die off, is doing well. I think the lower ph is better.

Thanks for answers to above if you get this. Best Sherry

• alisande
    15 years ago

Andy, I gather you never left Long Island. Still thinking about moving?

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living