Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Betta laying eggs

Posted by jill1979 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 07 at 10:53

My friend just bought a betta and neither of us know anything about them. She thought she got a male but it looks like the betta has laid eggs and became quite aggressive after laying them. Is this common for females without males around? What should you do with these unfertilized eggs? Are these even eggs she is releasing? PLease let us know!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Betta laying eggs

Unlikely it's a female. They look mighty plain. I've seen them at Petco but they're not fancy at all and were clearly labeled as females and on a separate shelf from the males. The fins are much smaller than in males.

Males make spit bubbles on the surface of the water, that might be what you're seeing. I was told that means they're happy when they do that. And they're normally aggressive, that's why they're called siamese fighting fish. I have a friend from Vietnam and every time he sees my betta he likes to tell me how they're used for fighting and gambling in Vietnam.

o
RE: Betta laying eggs

The things that seem like eggs are actually lying at the bottom of the tank now. So I can't figure it out adn should whatever it is be removed? They have been there for two days now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here