Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reg_pnw7

Feeding Peas to goldfish

reg_pnw7
17 years ago

I have two fancy goldfish, an orange and white comet and an orange and brown oranda. The oranda is having swim bladder problems. He eats well, and can swim when he tries, but when he stops paddling he floats on his side.

They love oranges so I've given them little slices of orange and they gobble that down. They won't touch lettuce or dandelion greens or water veronica. It's way to early in the season here for duckweed or fairy moss, two of their favorites. I got them some dried seaweed last night, the package said 'for all fresh and salt water omnivores' and that includes goldfish. And, they love it. I also have frozen bloodworms which they'll eat but the worms sink so fast most end up in the gravel. I have dried tubifex worms too, would those be good for him?

Then I tried the peas like I see posted here all the time for swim bladder problems. I soaked them in hot water for a minute to thaw, and cut them in two and split off the skin, and carefully slid them into the feeding ring - and they dropped like a stone to the bottom. Now if I drop one right in front of the fish and he sees it, he'll eat it. Otherwise they're just trashing up the bottom. How do you all get the peas to float long enough for the fish to eat them?

This has been going on for over a week now. Should I eliminate the flake food entirely until he's better?

Comments (6)

Sponsored