Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanbubbles

Peas?

oceanbubbles
19 years ago

Ive heard that you can give peas to some fish like bettas to help prevent swim bladder.. is this true for most fish?

Comments (21)

• breezyb
    19 years ago

While I've never fed them, I've heard that a lot of omnivorous fish species like cooked or thawed peas. I've heard that you should split them in half so that the fish doesn't have to try to break thru the tough outer skin. And you also should keep abreast of leftovers so they don't foul the tank.

• Puddlemaker
    19 years ago

A lot of goldfish owners feed them reqularly to their fish. I feed them once in a while but mine don't really like them so i usually have to fast them for a day or two. Just remove the outer skin before you feed them. For smaller fish you can smash them up a bit first. I only feed a couple at a time and that way they are always eaten.

• skygee
    19 years ago

Peas really were the life saver for my koi last summer... when I stupidly (carelessly) put a plant nearby that was not koi-safe (toxic)! I couldn't figure out why my fish were dying until I finally figured on the source. I read on another fish site that peas were very good at "cleansing" the gut out... which is what I started to do for the koi. They gobbled those peas up like there was no tomorrow!! Even the littlest ones were chowing them down. I made them eat the peas before they got their regular food -- and generally they're only fed once a day. I zap some frozen peas in water in the microwave... then rinse to cool and peel off the outer skins.

My goldfish don't like them as much as the koi - but they'll eat them if there's nothing else in the tank. Then again, they don't tear into the plants like the koi do in the pond.

I've never really seen any of my bettas even pulling or nibbling on plants - so not sure how they'd go with the peas. Make sure you remove them if they're not eaten!!

• oceanbubbles
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Can I feed peas to discus and gouramis? What about mollies? I dont want to hurt them! haha

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

Well .. so far I tried Peas once ... put a few in water in the microwave ... squished a pea above the water line and a blob of pea fell into the tank .. a Danio swallowed it up ... his whole throat started turning green and he was chewing like mad ... I thought for sure he would gag to death .. I had the net in one hand a forceps in the other ready to do emergency surgery ... but all settled down in a few minutes ... LOL

Interestingly ... I am also having a problem with my Serpae's air bladder and so the reason for the peas. I've noticed a good feeding of blood worms or brine shrimp seems to help a bit ...

My local shop suggested rock salt .. ehh not sure ... another reference suggest ... Trimethoprim ??

In any event ... the peas never made it to the Serpaes.

Good Day ...

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

... anyway ... just a guess .. I think getting movement in the digestive tract helps move the air bladder and clear the valve that lets air in and out of the bladder ... I say this because a good meal of worms or brine shrimp seems to help a bit ... in the morning the condition seems worse and flake foods don't seem to help.

Any ideas ???

Good Day ...

• luxum
    19 years ago

Despite the misinformation passed on by people marketing Betta/Peace Lily vases, bettas are carnivores. You should only feed peas to your betta if you suspect an intestinal blockage, and even then there are probably better approaches to that problem.

Peas are a great preventive for goldfish though, the fiber keeps their systems moving and is especially helpful when your goldies are fed a diet of dry pellets regularly.

• annac213
    19 years ago

I also use peas for my fish when they are impacted with eggs
    cleans them right out

• pequafrog
    19 years ago

...Burger King works for me ;-)

-andy

• skygee
    19 years ago

You get impacted with eggs? ;)

Or do you only get pelted with eggs! LOL

• oceanbubbles
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh good... they all get live worm on a daily basis... So hopefully they will not get swim bladder. A fish a had long ag got that... It was so sad! I dont want to see it again

• imaginators
    19 years ago

I can not imagine Discus or Angelfish and that type fish eating anything but meat type food. But again let me know if I am wrong.
    theresa

• skygee
    19 years ago

My angels eat flaked food... or they steal the betta pellets from under the bettas nose!

• keithgh
    19 years ago

oceanbubbles
    You should not feed Bettas frozen Blood Worms on a regually basis once or twice a week is plenty. Peas are fed for getting movement in the digestive tract. They must be cooked & mashing a little this does help.
    I will start a new thread on what I feed my fish.

Keithgh

• hannah
    19 years ago

I feed (thawed) frozen peas to my Goldfish...remove the skin/shell and pinch the innards in half...they're little guys ya know and could possibly choke.
    They love'm, by-the-way.

• beebop7
    19 years ago

Yes I have become a firm believer in feeding peas....and after reading more posts on feeding different veggies..I may start experimenting with others...especially since I'll be growing a lot of them in my garden:)

• txyellowstang
    19 years ago

My cichlids and jack eat peas. They love em.

• oceanbubbles
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have been giving my betta worms about once or twice a week. Along with his usual pellets. Ever since Ive strted doing that.. hes been blowin bubble nests almost every other day!

• daidra
    19 years ago

Is it ok to give my goldfish peas on a daily basis?

When she gets them, she's on fire....zips around the tank and gets all excited.

• skygee
    19 years ago

Well - I think if you're just giving her a few, there's no harm!

• tatestots
    19 years ago

My molly looks like she is going to explode. At first I thought she was pregnant, now I'm not sure. She swims fine and acts normal. What could be the problem?

Sponsored