Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use Apple Snail and African Dwarf Frog to cycle new tank?

Posted by lawn_slave Z6a (IN) (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 2, 06 at 12:33

Can I use an Apple Snail and African Dwarf Frog to cycle a new 10 gal tank? Surely their poo/pee is productive in the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate thingy.

Its got a power filter (w/bio-filter) and a heater...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use Apple Snail and African Dwarf Frog to cycle new tank?

hello
Would think so but some frogs have very sensitive skin.
So go slowly and test ,Wait at least two weeks before adding anything else.
there are ways to cycle without lifeforms that I always use which to me seem more humane
gary

o

Please you have to be kidding. Yes you can do it but both could be dead very quickly.

Use Zebra Danio they are very tough and extremly cheap.
Doing a fishless cycle can be done but it involves using the correct chemicals at the correct strength.

Before you add any fish do a complete water test and add the new fish very slowly.

I think you will find more info at http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/

Keithgh

Keith

o

IMO the best way to cycle a new aquarium is with a Fishless cycle using a free and clear type of household cleaning ammonia . It usually takes about 28 days, unless you can get filter media and/or gravel from someones disease free established aquarium. The best thing is you wont risk poisoning fish. Some where in here is a thread with directions and a link. If you are interested try to find it or post again if you have no luck.

o

Why no Keith, I'm not kidding.

Thanks everyone.

o

If you do decide to use an apple snail and hope to keep him alive for any length of time, make sure you get some calcium for the tank. I didn't know about it (thought they got all they neededd from the food) until after mine died!

I had that exact combination for a long time. I found the frogs to be pretty darn tolerant to a newbie like me! A year later he's still going strong. Oh yeah, make sure you cover your tank at all times, including when you remove them to do a thorough cleaning. I lost one of my frogs that way :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here