Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pearl2tn

aquarium plants

pearl2tn
18 years ago

I am setting up two 10 gal. tanks to keep new born guppies in. Has anyone used silk vines and plants in aquariums . Would they harm the guppies .Price of aquarium plants is about four times as expensive but I don't want to kill the fish either.Any input appreciated.

Comments (5)

• woeisme
    18 years ago

I have never used them, but have read others that use ones from craft stores, walmart and dollar stores. Maybe live plants like a java fern would be a good idea. They are anywhere from $2-5 deppending on size and will eventually multiply. They seem to do good in even less then ideal conditions for other plants, a good beginer plant.

• sherryazure
    18 years ago

Pearl, one thing, the fake plants don't add anything to the biology of the tank... I used them before (before I got low light plants such as Anubias and Java ferns) and noticed a brown type of algae (diatoms I think I read somewhere) which was anaerobic (no oxygen) and would smell horrible.

When I went to the real thing, everything improved. Sweet water, less time to set up and cycle so on, plants use up waste, balance parameters and are beautiful...

Guppies especially like to peck on any algae as they need vegetation in diet. Here is a link to show some easy to care for plants... Best Sherry (I am so happy I eventually got the real ones)

(http://www.aquabotanic.com/abstore/index.html)

• faltered
    18 years ago

I purchased the silk-like plants that they sell in the aquarium sections of pet stores several years ago. They do give a much more realistic look to the tank. However, they are algae magnets. And harder to scrub it off than the plastic plants.

I'm switching to a real tank in the next several weeks. You might want to consider going that route.

Tracy

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Just to clarify, diatoms/brown slime algae is common with new aquariums, anyone with excess silicate in the tap water or if something new is added. Usually once the silicates leach out and disipate the brown algae will subside or just go away. Anaerobic bacteria is not bad for aquariums, it is actually very necessary and artificial plants will host it. The only problem is when anaerobic and aerobic bacterias are out of balance. The anaerobic (particularly heterophic bacterias)goes nuts because of the excess "food" not being used by the aerobic bacteria. This is usually cause or cloudy and smelly water. Silk is not a bad choice, much more realistic then hard plastic, as stated allready, and less chance for long fins to get "chopped". They are functional though, just in the end more expensive and more maintainance then a "hearty" plant that is not that demanding.

• ianna
    18 years ago

Hello, to address (woeisme's) that specific algae problem, use fish antibiotics. They will die enmass after one full treatment (following suppliers' instructions).

Guppies, need softened water - so ask your pet shop for special type of salts for the water.

Oxygenting plants like valisnerias can be added to the tank. check out this link for more information on aquatic plants... www.tropica.com

Ianna

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting