Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezyb_gw

Buying Fish Via The Internet

breezyb
19 years ago

Did a search on this here, but nothing came up.

So - anyone here purchase tropical fish & plants from Internet sources?

Any places you'd recommend? NOT recommend?

Comments (16)

• skygee
    19 years ago

I've ordered plants through the web, but not fish. What's always held me back is the cost!! Shipping is really astronomical!

I think Isis mentioned she's ordered from Foster and Smith??

• jimkpaph
    19 years ago

I have ordered cichlids over the internet several times, shipping is indeed expensive. I have also shipped fish to others and I can tell you that the costs are not inflated - it's expensive to ship fish.

• imaginators
    19 years ago

YES, buying fish over the internet is expensive. But when you think about what all the preparation for shipping a live fish, there is good reason for the cost. Have you notice how cheap some Koi are on the internet and then the added $50.00 plus for shipping. I don't know how the buyer can make money off of Kois on Ebay or other selling sites. I prefer to buy a fish in a driving distance unless this fish is extra show quality.

Theresa

• skygee
    19 years ago

I kinda like to SEE what I'm getting when it comes to Koi! It takes me forever to pick out koi when I'm looking to buy!! I stare at them forever from all sides!! LOL

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

I've ordered fish from doctors foster smith. I was pretty satified other than the fact they shipped my order without the kuhli loaches that were my main reason for ordering to begin with.. They refunded half the shipping (24.99 was the total and I would have spent that in gas driving to get them) and the cost of the fish though.

Bleh...Ebay koi....That actually drives me insane they have koi that are flawed from standard perspective selling for as much if not more than I paid for some of my show quality koi (of course I don't have any of them left since I had a big die off in my pond last year). Just because the seller says they're show doesn't mean they are but if they put it in there they'll sell like they are.

Adrea

• imaginators
    19 years ago

I have never bought fish over the internet but I too have purchased from Dr. Foster Smith. I also get their catalogue for dogs, cats and fish. I am always looking for specials that I may need. I do feel comfortable with them.
    I agree with Skygee, I like to actually see the fish I am going to buy. How can you tell how a live fish is (physically and pesonality) over the internet from a photo? Especially if you are buying Koi, Discus or etc. They are not only your pets but a family investment.
    Theresa

• skygee
    19 years ago

Isis - I'm so sorry about your koi!! I had a number of pond fish die last summer - and it was devestating.

• imaginators
    19 years ago

I am very sorry Adrea for your loss of Koi. What are your plans for this Summer? Are you going purchase some more of those jewel fish?
    Theresa

• drygulch
    19 years ago

You should all check out aquabid.com. Sort of an eBay for aquarists. During warmer months, many folks are willing to ship USPS priority mail, which is much cheaper than FedEx.

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

Theresa,
    My summer plans include answering others questions about sick koi lol.

I bought two mutts at petsmart last week but really can't afford (mentally and pond wise) to get my collection back to where I'd like to see it until I make the space. I'm not ready for it yet realising I killed 1000$ worth of koi by overstocking and that kept me from being able to treat gill disease. It was so bad I actually thought about just od'ing the pond on clove oil. Six of my koi made it but I lost a lot of good fin friends (including a 150$ asagi ouch).

Adrea

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

I think that if you go with aquabid you can end up paying way more than you should. I'm not bashing the site or anything just that I noticed some of them go so high it wouldn't outweigh making a long drive to pick up a particular fish (unless you're looking for something peculiar or particualar sized). Same with ebay.

Aquariumfish.net is a recommended site by many people and that fish place has started doing online fish orders too which a lot of people are excited about. I've been looking at aquariumstuffers.com (big selection and resonable pricing) but can't say I've seen any reveiws about them.

Adrea

• paparoseman
    19 years ago

Buying fish on the internet is best used for fish that cannot be purchased locally. Aquabid has some great deals but it helps to know how much a fish is worth because it is really easy to spend too much after paying shipping. If you are interested in West African fish try www.rehobothaquatics they are in Texas and are mainly wholesalers but will sell to individuals if none of their retail customers are nearby. They have many fish that are seen in books only and most of the cichlids they have can be bought in pairs. If you live near a major airport they can send your fish via the airlines and then you pick them up from the cargo area. I have had fish shipped several times and it runs to $34.00 a box which works out to only three dollars a fish if you buy eight fish or more. They have many polypterus also which after airfreight will still be less than the local fish store. I had good luck with rmsaquaculture also but they would be best for getting fish that are not seen in your local store as their shipping will not work well with common fish because of the cost factor. Anthonys Tropical Fish in California has great deals from time to time on fish from the far east.

• AshleyNicole
    18 years ago

http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/

never bought fish, but i bought plants online from this sight, and they are awesome. Shipping is only like 10 bucks for 2-3 day delivery, and if you love live plants, this is THE place to get them, I ordered about 25 plants, and they didn't come right away, so i sent an email asking why, well, they were regrowing the ones i wanted, and out of stock on a different one. They sent me the ones they had the next day, then a week later i got the other ones, plus like 10 extra plants for having to wait. They were way better than anything i could buy locally. I would highly suggest this website, but give them time for shipping, or if you can't wait, email an inquiry, they always respond

http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/

• Superpet1
    18 years ago

breezyb

There are allot of fish auction sites out there try www.superpetauction.com

• james_ny
    18 years ago

I've bought bettas at Aquabid.com with good results. Like ebay your at the mercy of the seller so check feedback.

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    18 years ago

I bought fish and shrimp at Arizona Aquatic Gardens. I really wanted algae eating shrimp and this place has so many different varieties. While I was at it I decided to get some fish too. I am very happy with the quality and will do so again.

I was nervous but it worked out. A few were dead but I just e-mailed them the ones that arrived dead and they gave me a credit. You have to be home to receive the shipment though. Difficult to do if you have a full time job that is not flexible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Aquatic Gardens

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner