Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanbubbles

Really want the moonlight effect!

oceanbubbles
19 years ago

Is there anyone who can help me out with some tips for DIY Moonight effects for my tank!? I feel so bad keeping them in the dark! ( Or is that good?!) hehehe

Comments (11)

• skygee
    19 years ago

I'm not certain what you mean?? They do sell underwater lights for aquariums...

• pequafrog
    19 years ago

Actually, guys...they do sell moonlight for aquariums. Really high-end strip lights have an extra moon light.
    During the day, the moon light brings on different shimmers on the fishes scales that you wouldn't normally see. They're expensive though. At night, it has a black light effect. Affecting different species in different ways. Also, some species of fish will breed more readily with moonlight.
    So, you can get the moon light on your striplight but you'll pay pay pay. However, you can get a seperate moonlight for about $45 that attaches to your tank. That's probably the route I'll take when I get my big mother of all tanks.

Hope this helped!

-andy

• oceanbubbles
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow thanks! $45 isnt much for such a cool effect. Thanks for your help. By the way.. I have 4 discus, 2 gourami & 3 mollies and a sailfin suckerfish. Do you think they will like the moonlight? I want to make them as happy as I can! Thanks!!

• luxum
    19 years ago

You can get it for cheaper than that, depends on how big your tank is. Coralife makes a nice little clip on LED for $13. You can get larger ones for a bigger tank, or get more of them. Most of the ones that are built into strip lights are designed for reef tanks and the daylight part would overpower a freshwater tank, so it really depends on your specific application. Here's a link to the light i referred to earlier at Big Al's aquarium supply.

Fish do need a dark period to keep their circadian rhythms synced properly, but apparently the blue light spectrum does not disturb them. You could use it as a dawn/dusk simulator too if you had it on a timer so it came on about an hour before your main lights, and then went off when you went to bed. That way the fish would have a more natural light transition as well as a period of true darkness, and you'd be able to enjoy them the entire time you were awake.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coralife 3/4 watt LED moonlight

• CAMBYSES
    19 years ago

I made a DIY Moonlight for my Nano Reef. I used a blue LED strip light that is sold at auto stores. it is suppossed to be for interior lighting for cars and comes with a cigarette lighter connector on the end. I just went to radio shack and bought an ac/dc adapter and then spiced the wires. If ya want to get fancy like I did, the you can also buy a switch at radio shack and place that in the circuit to have an on off switch. my moon light worked great and it looked awesome... good luck and if you need more info I will be happy to help out

CAMBY

• Easygoing
    19 years ago

I just purchased a moonlight Stipe, has 10 blue led lights. I purchased it off Ebay. Total with shipping was $53 something. Look for seller raaa100.

I love the light! What I like most about it is, it allows me to observe fish that otherwise I see seldom of them. For example, my Elephant Nose. To me it was well worth the bucks, and I don't think $53 for this efficent setup, that can be stuck to your reflector hood if it has the space, is a bad deal. Very easy to install and use. I have mine on a time.

Easy

• Marisha_1973
    19 years ago

I am a goldfish kinda aquarium person...keep it simple and inexpensive...I LOVE my tanks tho...I have a tank of common grey guppies found in the lake, sometimes I sit in front of them when I eat...dinner and a movie!

I am so simple about the science and chemistry and mechanics of aquariums that I never thought about "moonlight effects."

So is the idea to give the tank a spectrum of light that mimics moonlight so we can see them and not disturb their circadian rhythms? Blue LED's, huh? What about just a black light bulb...what would that do?

• breezyb
    19 years ago

I think what you found in the lake were Mosquito Fish, not guppies. Both sexes resemble common female guppies & are very frequently found in manmade lakes.

• husker72
    18 years ago

I just finished a DIY moonlight effect for my small aquarium. I just have a small 10 gal. aquarium with about 13 neon tetras and a striped catfish. This was more of a test to see how it would turn out. The results are awesome. I too found the best quality, low cost, high intensity LED lights at an auto parts store. They are singles, with a resistor already wired into them and was in a pack of 3 LED's. I went to radio shack and bought a 12V AC to DC adaptor and also the jack for the adaptor to plug into. I also installed a switch. Wiring them was not hard at all. The time consuming part was just waiting for the soldering iron to warm up. The procedure worked out fantastic and I can now see my catfish is very active nocturnally and the neons appear to be attracted to the 'moonlit' areas. If you want a detailed procedure with pictures of each step and the products I used feel free to send me an email.

• menace78
    16 years ago

RE:So is the idea to give the tank a spectrum of light that mimics moonlight so we can see them and not disturb their circadian rhythms? Blue LED's, huh? What about just a black light bulb...what would that do?
    LED's are great for doing DIY moonlights but remember, you'r talking moonlight.. you have to get Blue LED's that are in the 464-475nm range to get the correct effect and not stress you'r fish..

And BLACKLIGHT IS A NO NO !!
    It WILL blind you'r fish and stress them like you have never seen..

If you are comfertable wireing them up,
    Look up giorgio11185 on EBay. I bought a set of 100 of them with resistors for about $12 US. Takes about 2-3 weeks to get them from japan buy there well worth it..

Hope this helped!

• james_ny
    16 years ago

I used to use a fluorescent tube I think was called atinic 03 in a regular shop light. It created something like a moonlight affect.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County