Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marisha_1973

I Found Guppies At The Lake

Marisha_1973
19 years ago

Hum a few bars if you know it ... :)

My mother and I fish some man-made lakes on the Southern Oregon Coast and there they were...about 5 schools of baby fish. Each school was comprised of a different basic size of occupants. The smallest, made up of about 15 fish, were 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch and tended to hang out near the edge of the water at our feet, while the largest grouping, about 20-30 fish, ranged from about 2 to 4 inches and were only visible on really sunny days last fall.

This particular lake is stocked with farmed trout by the Department of Fish & Wildlife, but it also contains Perch, Bass, Catfish, and Blue Gill. I was so excited to see groups of babies and decided one day to go back and net them and take them home...how exciting to raise baby trout or something, even if I was technically poaching. Didn't realize that until my mom's friend, the commercial fisherman, advised me of my lawbreaking a week later.

Much to my chagrin, about a month or so later, I realized that these little fish were not going to grow into the big monsters that I had hoped for. They are common grey guppies. I realized it when I thought one of them had a deformed fin...it looked like the fin on the underside of its belly was ripped and detatched most of the way from its body. After looking at hundreds and hundreds of pictures of fish native to the Pacific Northwest with no success in finding a match, I started looking to aquarium sites, and lo and behold, I found an anatomical diagram of a male guppy...complete with a name for the "deformed" fin ... the gonopodium.

I started the tank with the water, rocks and plants from the lake where I netted the fish and have since slowly acclimated them to regular aquarium water. I had an infestation of Hydra for the first month or so and have since rid the tank of that. I put some anacharis in the tank from the lake, thinking the fish were natives and needed familiar foliage. The plant contained a hitchhiker...a pond snail that, thankfully, hasn't reproduced like I thought it would but has grown in size and keeps the tank front nice and clean.

When I was still under the impression that these were baby sport fish I purchased some freeze-dried baby shrimp and blood worms for them to eat...after finding out their species I did more research and was surprised to find out I had been feeding them the right foods, the temp in the tank was ok at 68 to 72ºF even though I don't have a heater, it's not necessarily ideal for breeding, but they are surviving, and I think the population is even ok, with 12 smalls in a dome-front

Comments (15)

• breezyb
    19 years ago

While without a picture no one can readily ID your fish, I would be willing to bet almost anything that they are NOT guppies.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say Mosquito Fish, which are frequently introduced into manmade bodies of water to help control the larvae of the very pest they're named after. Mosquito Fish are virtually identical to female guppies in size & appearance, the only difference being that the male does not develop a male guppy's colors, but stays the same greyish color as a common female guppy. Since Mosquito Fish are livebearers just like guppies, the males do have a gonopodium.

My vote is for Mosquito Fish.

• Marisha_1973
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Interesting, I have seen pictures of other plain guppies and they look the same...people have suggested that someone probably dumped their aquarium in the lake and that's how they got there...I posted a picture in the Gallery of a female and a male...it's not a great pic, but hopefully a good enough one to be useful in identification...see what you think.

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Checked your gallery photo Marisho & those are definitely Mosquito Fish. You'll find that they behave & breed similar to guppies & other livebearers; they just don't have the color or finnage.

Like I said, they're purposely introduced to manmade lakes & farm ponds all over the country for mosquito larva control - especially since West Nile Virus started raising its ugly head.

• Marisha_1973
    Original Author
    19 years ago

WOW! It's so funny, because I sent the SAME picture to the guy at Guppyplace.com and he said they WERE guppies. You've piqued my curiosity tho, so I am gonna go research mosquito fish....thank you very much!

• Marisha_1973
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Did some research. Viewed some pictures. Seems I have a tank of mosquito fish. It was bad enough that they were guppies and not trout...now they are a species of fish that people refer to as "The Fish Killer."

Ugh.

• breezyb
    19 years ago

I've never heard them referred to as that. In fact, their lust for mosquito larvae & peaceful nature is one of the reasons they're used as often as they are.

Where did you hear this & what is the reasoning behind it, if you don't mind my asking?

• Marisha_1973
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have a link to a site on the control of Gambusia where I read that they are referred to as: "Gambusia holbrooki, the "fish destroyer.""

The first link is the first site where I learned about them and the second is where they are referred to as fish destroyers.

http://www.mosquito-kill-net.com/mosquito-fish.html

http://www.gambusia.net/

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Thanks for the site info - interesting stuff!!!

• breezyb
    19 years ago

But at least they're not "fish killers" in the sense that they're aggressive. They "kill" by eating native fish eggs & fry, same as the goldfish that people love to dump into ponds when they grow too big.

Still a problem, no matter how you look at it. It's a shame that West Nile Virus had to rear it's ugly head over here.

• drygulch
    19 years ago

Mosquito fish (gambusia) have been introduced widely around the country. In some cases there hasn't been much effect on local native fishes and in other cases, the results have been pretty devastating. They really don't control mosquito larva any better than other small fish, but tend to out-compete many native fish for some reason (the live births probably help in this regard).

• Marisha_1973
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I read that an adult female Gambusia can eat a couple hundred mosquito larvae a day...sounds pretty impressive to me, but I don't know what the numbers are for other mosquito larvae-eating fish. And depending on what site I go to I get different info on their impact on the environment...all I know is that I have a 5 gallon tank of these little guys on my kitchen counter and they love freeze-dried blood worms, baby shrimp and tropical flakes!

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Marisha - if I were you, I'd just enjoy them, which is what it sounds like you're doing.

• pequafrog
    19 years ago

Marisha, what knd of filter do you have in that 5 gallon tank? I ask because my daughter wants to set up a 2 1/2 gallon in her room and I don't know what to filter it with.

-andy

• Marisha_1973
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have a UG filter with a power head that was originally for a rectangular 10 gal. It is made up of two black grated plates that can connect and each has a powerhead...I am using only one of the plates and powerheads and had to cut the plate with large wire cutters (even though it's plastic they worked like a dream) because my tank is dome fronted so I needed to round the front of the plate so it would fit...I also have A LOT of gravel in the tank so the plants sit really deep and they don't get disturbed much when I siphon the debris. Your daughter's tank, what shape is it?

• brendan_of_bonsai
    19 years ago

Mosquitoe fish are horrible fin nippers, way worse than any of my FW puffers, they are a risk to native fish and its good that you caught them, your wildlife services should be using native minnows, as they are not invasive and also eat lots of mosquitoe larve.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES