Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uninformed_kitty

My bettas like each other, but they dont. o.0

uninformed_kitty
18 years ago

I got a female betta fish today, and I was hoping she'd get along with my male betta in my 10 gallon tank. All was fine at first, with him showing off to her and her following him around. They were together for maybe half an hour with no problems, but then he chased her away from his spot and bit at her (though he didn't actually hurt her fins any). His spot is sort of a well-covered spot at the top of the tank where he likes to hang out and build rather large bubble nests. When he did it a second time a minute later, I took her out. Maybe they'd have spawned if she had eggs and he had a nest? (His nests always get ruined when I do a water change, and he hasn't rebuilt yet.) It seems like he's mad because she's not ready to spawn yet. Nevermind his own lack of preparedness. I don't really want them to breed right now, anyway, I was just hoping they'd get along.

My question is, is it worth it to try putting them together again tomorrow? I have a 2 gallon tank for her to go in by herself, but I'd really rather that she be in the large social space. I'm likely getting another tank in October, which I plan to fill with other females from the same tank at the pet shop (I figure it's better since they already know each other), so the 2 gallon wouldn't be a permanent thing.

Comments (6)

Sponsored