Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uninformed_kitty

Wounded Fish

uninformed_kitty
18 years ago

One of my neon tetras has a wound in her side, which doesn't really make any sense at all because none of my fish are aggressive. I've been watching them very closely since noticing it, and they're all acting perfectly normal. Maybe something scared her and she hurt herself on a decoration? Is that possible? Is it possible that not feeding them enough could make them temporarily aggressive? I've been told over and over to underfeed my fish while the tank is cycling.

The fish in my tank right now are a betta, a glowlight tetra, a white cloud mountain minnow, and four neon tetras, including the wounded one.

Here's a few pictures of her I managed to take: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/UninformedKitty/woundedneon.jpg

One of them is just a shrunken version of another, in case that makes it easier to make out. You can't see it, but all of her fins are intact, and she looks healthy besides the wound. If she were being picked on by another fish, wouldn't they have torn up her fins?

Looking at her in person, she has one thin vertical wound just behind her gill (which itself is undamaged), and another wider one behind that one that looks very shallow, almost like a bruise. Though they both look pretty shallow, fish are very small, so I'm not sure how bad it really is...

What should I do at this point? Do they make a general fish medicine I can put in the water? Should she be separated from the other fish? Would adjusting the tank to any particular temperature be helpful? (I keep it around 74 F.) How likely is she to recover?

Comments (6)

Sponsored