Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ketel1

Dropsy AND ich? here we go again...

ketel1
19 years ago

Hi all- you may remember I had a lionhead that we had to euthanize due to dropsy. My other fantail (that is very eggshaped) is now sick. It started with 2 white spots on her head that appear to be ich. We did the 3-day treatment and the spots are still there. We did a 50% water change and started the treatment again, per the instructions. Since getting these spots, she is having extreme difficulty diving. She spends 99% of her time floating at the top. We have a current in the tank due to 2 filters, so she just sort of floats along in that. She has a hard time getting to food..and her eyes are starting to bulge a bit. She is not pine-coned at all...yet?

I was told by the previous owners that she is female, the males used to beat her up a bit trying to spawn.

Any suggestions? Should we do an antibacterial treatment in addition to the ich? I have no isolated her since ich stays in the tank.

Thanks again....

Comments (10)

• Puddlemaker
    19 years ago

I've never had much luck with the ick treatments with goldfish. I have successfully beat it with salt .3% and heat 86 deg. If your tank has a heater turn it on or up if not get one. Add a table spoon per gallon of salt to the tank and you can just drop it right into the tank. If you can reduce the current it would make the fish more comfortable and they won't be banging into stuff in the tanks. For the salt make sure it's safe for aquariums and fish and leave it in the tank for at leats 14 days. leave the heat up during this time as well it will spead up the ick cycle and the salt will kill it off. Goldfish will eat almost all the time if they can and when they don't eat they are very sick. If you can get them to eat do it even if you have to shut the filter off to do it. It can be off for 5-10 minutes without any trouble.

• ketel1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Husband added the salt last night. Should we test the water and make sure it stays at that level for the full 14 days? Should I add more if it changes?
    Also- should I use the ich meds at all, combined with the salt?
    Thanks.

• skygee
    19 years ago

the ich meds really work best in warmer temp environment. Are you using a heater to bring up the temps?

In any case - IMO, I would simply use salt and raise temps and not use the ich meds. Raising the temps itself will push the ich life cycle through more quickly.

You may want to consider getting medicated foods once you've stabilized your fish once more. Might be some bacterial infection they're not quite kicking??

Also this is an EXCELLENT site for info:

Here is a link that might be useful: Koivet.com

• Puddlemaker
    19 years ago

Test the water for all parameters (Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, PH ...) and if you change water add the same amount of salt 1 table spoon per gallon. Don't add the salt for evaporated water because the salt will stay behind. The medicated food is a good idea as well, I use Medi gold for treating all sick goldfish and feed Pro gold normally. You can get these from Goldfishconnection.com

• ketel1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Great advice...and great news, I hope. (BTW- yes, we brought in the 'big guns', a 150W heater that has the water at 88 degrees). As of tonight , the 2 ich spots are gone (there were never any more than that). We also reduced the current. I was underestimating how that was negatively affecting her by lightly pushing her into things. She does seem more active now, actually swimming around a bit, using her fins. Before, she was only floating in the current.

I will keep watching and will leave the water as is for 14 days. I am concerned about her swim bladder issues. But, one thing at a time I suppose.

I will get some medicated food. We have thought about doing a random antibacterial treatment, knowing that something is amiss, but read many articles that state you should really only treat if you know what is wrong, and we don't.

Thank agian for all your advice!

• koidog
    19 years ago

Hmm....so, I was looking at her this morning, from the top and her shape is irregular/asymmetrical. She is an egg-shaped fantail, with a very big belly. Well, from the top, one side of her looks slightly concave compared to the other. Does anyone know what that could mean?
    She still is not eating, which has me worried. Water temp is still high.
    Thanks .

• Puddlemaker
    19 years ago

If she is stll not eating try some brine shrimp. They come frozen in little balls at the pet store and you can cut them into small pieces. Goldfish love them and they breakup really small and float for a while. The heat and salt might take a day or two to work and she should resume eating.

• ketel1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Do her current symptoms sound like dropsy? I just don't know what else to do for her. I will get the medicated food and brine shrimp tomorrow. She just shows no interest in food at all. Her tank mates are active and seem just fine.

Thanks for the help~

• ketel1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This morning....goldy is swimming around and 'diving' more than before but there are spots again, on her head. They look a little fuzzy. Could they be a fungus and NOT ich? They are tiny, grain of salt size, like ich but seem to have fuzzy edges...and seem raised. Her gills are rolled out slightly at the edges.
    Water temp is still 88 degrees.

• ketel1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, I will euthanize her tonight. Today she took a turn for the worse, and is arcing at the top of the tank, like the lionhead was doing at the gravel. She is past saving.

Should I do a 50% water change once I remove her? Or should I still leave the salted water in for the others? They all look fine but I do have one eggshaped fantail left so I will keep an eye on him. The others are not eggshaped.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022