Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lwowk

Need HELP with sick guppies

lwowk
15 years ago

4 days ago I discovered that one of my guppies had the shimmies and had a cloudy slimey coating. At the time the rest of the guppies (all male) were not shimmying and did not have the coating but one other one was secluding himselfs from others and hiding only to come out when feeding. I figured that since one was secluding himself it may be that he would soon show symptoms and decided to treat the whole tank. research online suggested parasites.

I have tetras in the tank as well so figuing some sort of parasite I treated with Quick Cure but at 60% dose (because of the tetras). After the third treatment the tetras still seem fine but now ALL the guppies are flashing and scratching against the gravel. They are all still eating and the one guppy is still secluding himself now shimmying slightly and usually resting on the gravel (no sign of the cloudly coating) he is also still eating. the original sick guppy has died. There are no visible signs of parasites that I can see. the tetras appear uneffected.

Here are facts about the tank:

it is a ten gallon tank set up in January and had been fully cycled. the tank contains 4 neon tetras and 6 guppies and an apple snail (he has been renoved for tank treatment)

It has an external whisper filter which has carbon (removed during treatment) and a biosponge. This filter came with the tank.

The heater is a 50W heater. temp kept at a steady 80 degrees

The substrate is gravel.

There is a 14" bubbler in the tank.

A 30% water change and gravel vacumning was done just before the first Quick Cure treatment 4 days ago. I typically do water changes and gravel vaccumning once a week.

The tank was planted with Flirt and some sort of varigated snake type plant but these were removed just before treatment since malachite green and formulin in quick cure are not good for plants and I did not want to add plant poisoning to the fish's problems.

I just did a water test results are:

nitrates 10 ppm

nitrites 0

hardness 150

chlorine 0

alkalinity 0-40

ph 6.6

ammonium 0

I use Tetra Aqua Betta Safe to condition the water and remove chlorine.

Three of the guppies including the one that died but not the one that is secluding himself were added to the tank about two weeks ago.

Any ideas on what could be causing the problems? any suggestions as to how to procede from here?

TIA

Larissa

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro